Tuesday Talks- Does Too Much Description Kill a Story?


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  Tuesday Talks is an wonderful group on Goodreads that is a weekly discussion forum created by BookTubers Janie Johnson and her pal, Janelle. It is a fun and active group to be a part of.

   This week's question is: Does too much description kill a story?


  My answer to this is yes and no. There are ways that a story can be ruined by an overly descriptive synopsis on the book's cover or dust jacket. And if a book's narrative is too descriptive, the story can also be ruined. I find that many authors overly describe scenes to the point where the story grinds to a halt. I do not need to know every color of green a blade of grass is that a character is walking on. 

  But I have also read books that breeze by description to the point where  you need to use your imagination in order to figure out a character's appearance, or a location's geography. These can be story killers, as well. It may be just my personal feeling, but to say "The breeze blew through the town." as opposed to "A gentle breeze shifted aimlessly through the sleepy seaside village." I will pick description number two.

  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

 
   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 








All written content (c) Copyright 2017 by Thomas Bahr II


Comments