Top 5 Wednesday- Book Trends That I Am Tired Of


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  Top 5 Wednesday is a Goodreads Book Club that meets weekly to answer questions presented.  Our moderators are YouTubers, Lainey (GingerReadsLainey) and Samantha (ThoughtsOnTomes). I enjoy how every week this group brings the book community together. Great fun!

  This week's question asks: What are your Top 5
Book Trends You're Tired Of ? 

  1.  Instant Romance- This drives me crazy. If a character meets a character in chapter three they should not be married by chapter five. Real life does not play out that way.
  2. Stereotyped Characters- Girls who are in need of saving. Manly men saving the day. Gay characters portrayed as week and unable to defend themselves. And elderly characters who cannot take care of everyday needs. In this day and age those stereotypes should not always be available in books.
  3. Series That Go On One Book Too Many- This has happened a few times in the past, which has be scratching my head as to why books go on longer than they should. If a book has reached a closing point in the series, then it should end there. I prefer reading new material from authors rather than more of the same.
  4. Look-a-Like Book Covers- When a book does well and becomes a bestseller other publishers think it is smart to create covers that resemble other popular books. This formula does get people to buy their knock-offs, but I would prefer a cover that best represents the story inside, and not the feeling of another book.
  5. Authors That Try to Write Like Other Popular Authors- When a popular author adopts a certain narrative style, others may decide to also write like that author. I prefer an author that writes in their own way and not like another author. This has become very evident with the hundreds of V.C. Andrews write-a-likes that have emerged in the past ten years.

  
Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

 
   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 








All written content (c) Copyright 2017 by Thomas Bahr II

Comments