Book Review: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

 



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

  I have a confession to make. It is a big one. Are you ready? Okay...

  I have only read one book in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.

  There! It is out in the open. Let the book-shaming begin! 

  I read Prisoner of Azkaban before I saw the film, and was surprised how drastically different it was from the book. I promised myself I would read the series, and several years later it has finally begun to happen.



  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is the first book in an eight book series (the eighth being released as a play in July) about Harry Potter, a boy who finds out that he is a Wizard. Not only is he a Wizard, but he survived one of the most evil Wizards of them all...the dreaded Voldemort. But Harry has lived a dull and restrictive life with his aunt and uncle, and their obnoxious son, Dudley. Harry is miserable, but has no way out of this ordinary existence. Until one day he is visited by the postman, or so he thinks. Day by day he receives letters addressed to him, and day by day his uncle tears them up only to have more come to their home. 

  After being on the run with Harry to escape the letters, his aunt and uncle, and obnoxious Dudley whisk Harry away to a place no postman can reach. But to their surprise, the letter is delivered and with it an enormous man, named Hagrid. Hagrid reveals Harry's past, and that he is soon to start his wizarding classes at a magical place, called Hogwarts. Harry is in disbelief. A Wizard? Hogwarts? Magic? Surely these things do not exist. But Harry is proven wrong as he begins his journey to the fabled school of wizardry. From there we are sent on an amazing journey through Harry's first year at Wizarding School filled with mystery, danger, and the impending return of You-Know-Who.

  This book was an outstanding read. I used it in conjunction to a reading program for Alzheimer's patients that I am a part of from time to time. J.K. Rowling's narrative always sparks a smile on those I read to. And it is very rewarding to see the demeanor of my listeners change for the better. It has been proven that reading to someone with Alzheimer's increases cognition, and produces a positive mood. Please take the time to volunteer, and read to those in need of need companionship. It makes a great difference in the life of another. Many hospitals also have reading programs that you may inquire about.

  In edition to reading this aloud, I used the audio book narrated by Jim Dale whenever my voice would need a rest. And I was enchanted by the amazing way he delivered Rowling's words. He had many voices, and I found that when I would read aloud, I would try to mimic his voices. It became a game of how many Jim Dale voices can I match for my listener. I was quite fun, indeed.

  I gave this book five out of five stars. It was whimsical, enchanting, and now a classic in my reading life. Onward to the Chamber of Secrets! But I must be quiet, or Mrs. Norris will report me for sneaking around.

  Feel free to leave me comments on how you enjoyed the Harry Potter Series. And don't forget to visit my other social media sites.    

Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 

For more about reading to individuals with Alzheimer's, go to: https://www.alzinfo.org/articles/reading-alzheimers-bay/


At Twitter: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

At Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=Xepherus3

 At eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios

At Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3

All written content, and top logo (c) Copyright 2016 by Thomas Bahr II


Book cover (c) Copyright by the publisher

Comments