Tuesday Talks- What Movie Adaptations Have You Enjoyed More Than the Book?


Hello, Fellow Book Worms!

  Tuesday Talks is a Goodreads Group serving the book community that is moderated by YouTubers, Janie Johnson and her book pal, Janelle. Check it out!

   This week's Tuesday Talks question is:What Movie Adaptations Have You Enjoyed More Than the Book?

  This was an interesting question to me, because I have to think really hard for this answer. I normally do not like movie adaptations, because they cut out parts that I love in the book. But I do have a few that are near and dear to my literary and film heart:

  1.   Children of the Corn by Stephen King- I saw the film first, then I read the novella some years later. I thought it was a great adaption, even though it changed some key moments (including a character death). The movie haunted me for months, and is still in my video collection.
  2.  The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller- This film was better than the book for two reasons: Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep. I found the book a bit slow when I read it. But when I saw the characters brought to life by Streep and Eastwood, I was immersed in the story a lot better than I was reading. I may re-read the book this year to see if my feelings have changed.
  3. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough- This adaption was a mini-series in the 1980s that was gorgeous to look at! The acting was amazing with Barbara Stanwick leading an all-star cast. I loved the movie so much that I read the book a few months later. The film captured everything that I loved about the book, but it also brought Drogheda to vivid life. Epic film making for a television movie. I was further engrossed in the lives of the story's characters with this film.
  4. The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty- William Friedkin's film was very faithful to the book. And even though minor plot lines were cut, it did not take away from the story's impact. The entire film is one creepy extravaganza that takes you by the shoulders and shakes you to the very end. Amazing film making.
  5. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl- Some may disagree big-time with me on this, but Tim Burton's adaption was the most faithful in my opinion. I love the book, but Burton's treatment of the source material was handled very well. Each casted actor was perfect for their roles, and the music by Danny Elfman was just as whimsical as Dahl's book. I loved the book as a kid, so when I saw the first adaption I was let down, since it did not feel like Dahl's book. But when Johnny Depp filled Wonka's shoes I saw the Wonka that I remembered from the book. Burton's film is very fun and I love the musical numbers. I found myself loving this better than the book I had remembered reading.
  Because there is always time to read,
  Xepherus3   
 
At Twitter at: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

At Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios

At Goodreads at: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3
All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2016 by Thomas Bahr II

Comments