Tuesday Talks- Meeting My Favorite Author: Lois Lowry



  Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  It is time for another Tuesday Talks question!

  For those of you who are not familiar with this Goodreads group: we meet every week and share our answers to the  questions presented to us by Janie Johnson and her fellow Youtuber friend, Janelle. It is a fun and very diverse group, that never ceases to make me add new reads to my to be read list! 

  This week's answer comes in late due to my schedule. But, here is my answer to this week's question: Have you ever met your favorite author? If so did it change the way you thought about books? I did not meet my choice for this question, but I did receive correspondence via mail at a an age that made an impact.

  When I was nine years old I was a huge fan of Lois Lowry. I loved her books, and wanted to let her know. I wrote to her in my handwritten, elementary school writing (on paper... yes, we did that in the eighties), and sent it off with a stamp I bought all by myself. For a child of nine it seemed like forever to hear from her. But in actuality it took about three weeks to receive the correspondence. When I opened that letter I had no idea what an amazing impact it would have on me.

  I opened the wonderfully written letter by Lois Lowry. "She wrote to me", I had thought. "She stopped writing an actual book to answer me!" She thanked me for reading her Anastasia Krupnik series (there were two at that time), and explained that "Anastasia at Your Service" was on the way (this made my little heart so happy). She also spoke of school and learning more about writing. She explained that the more I learned in school, the easier books would be to read. She also encouraged me to be observant and see the world, because that was how great writers were made. I was so excited that I brought the letter to school to my librarian, who congratulated me on hearing from my favorite author. I was quite the celebrity that day, with friends congratulating me that I heard from a famous person. 

  Flash forward to forty-four year old me, and I have to say that Lois Lowry taking the time out to write to a child fan was amazing. She had made me feel very special, and I was encouraged all the more to read. Since that letter arrived I have always excelled in school, with mostly As in my writing classes. I also learned to read faster by incorporating sounds, smells, and touch memory into my reading. I attribute amazing people like Lois Lowry to helping me advance forward in life. Children are so special. And when they show interest in things, we must nurture that.

  The children are our future, guide them correctly. 

  To Lois Lowry, thank you!
 
 Because there is always time to read,
  Xepherus3   

 

At Twitter at: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

At Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios

At Goodreads at: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3



All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2016 by Thomas Bahr II

Comments