Book Review: Wicked Charms by Janet Evanovich and Phoef Sutton


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

  I was fortunate enough last year to pick up the first three books in the Wicked Series by Janet Evanovich at a book fair in Newtown, Connecticut. As many of you already know it was a crazy day for my roommate and I, and we came away from the fair with almost one hundred books. I recently wanted to break up my reading by introducing this series into my TBR pile. I found myself addicted to this series and read all three within a month's time. I have reviewed books one and two, and now it is time to tell you all what I thought of book three, Wicked Charms.

 

  Wicked Charms is written by Janet Evanovich and Phoef Sutton, and is distributed by Bantam Books. This time around we are given the opportunity to hear how famed screenwriter (Cheers, Newsradio, and Boston Legal to name a few), Phoef Sutton, interprets these much- loved characters. The result is an amazing collaboration with Evanovich that heightens the danger, sexual tension, and mythology of this world that Lizzy Tucker lives in.

  In Wicked Appetite Lizzy Tucker, a baker at Dazzles Bakery in Salem, Massachusetts, found out that she has the ability to find magical objects. She was introduced to Diesel, a handsome stranger with a long list of magical abilities (one of which is driving Lizzy crazy with their sexual tension). Together they searched for one of the famed Saligia Stones, seven stones with the powers of the Seven Deadly Sins. Lizzy and Diesel chased after the Gluttony Stone, involving a crazy adventure and a dangerous encounter with Wulf, Diesel's dark-magical cousin. In Wicked Business Lizzy and Diesel faced a deadly adversary with power over fire in the quest to find the Stone of Lust. In Wicked Charms the stone they seek is the Stone of Avarice. But there is one little problem: a billionaire named Martin Ammon believes that he is the vessel for the demon, Mammon. And he needs the Avarice Stone to open the gates of hell so he can rule the world. 

   Evanovich brings in Salem's famed Pirate Museum for a real life reference to the Witch City that is so familiar to the Wicked Series. Once again I was walking streets that I have walked many times with our characters. In the Pirate Museum Lizzy accidentally discovers a dead body. An investigation begins linking the Avarice Stone to buried Pirate treasure and a mysterious gold coin that was separated into many pieces. Can our magical duo find the Avarice Stone before Martin Ammon? And can they stop the demon Mammon from entering our world?


Treasure Map ad that ran for Wicked Charms

 Wicked Charms brings back Lizzy's often hilarious and dangerous cast of supporting characters. Glo (a wannabe Witch with a penchant for casting disastrous spells). Clara Dazzle (owner of Dazzle's Bakery. She has many secrets of her family that lead back to Peg Leg Dazzle from the Pirates of yesteryear). Wulf (a darkly powerful man with deadly abilities). Hatchet (he has the same ability as Lizzy, but he is crazy and acts as if he lives in the Renaissance Era). And Carl (renegade monkey with an all-too human demeanor and a love of flipping people off). Together this ensemble cast brings this book to a new level of action and excitement. Page after page I was dealing with crazy henchmen, pirate maps, bank vault robberies, boat chases, explosions, and lost of AP flour!

  Janet Evanovich's decision to co-author this book with Phoef Sutton was a an excellent choice. While reading this book I did not see any change in the writing, and all characters were written very well. Sutton's career as a screenwriter for television gave this book a fresh take on the story's pacing. It's three hundred plus pages were jammed-packed with so much fun and witty narratives that I read this in two days with a busy schedule! 

  I read this in part with the audiobook narrated by Lorelei King. I cannot stress enough how much I love King's narration. You can tell she has a lot of fun reading this series from the way she does the character voices. Her grumpy old man was hysterical. She is one of audio's best narrators.

  Wicked Charms was a lot of fun and very exciting. I give it four out of five stars. Until the next book arrives, I will have to be patient. I hope it is soon.

 Happy reading, everyone! Check out this awesome series, and you will not be disappointed.

 Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.
 
   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 









All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2016 by Thomas Bahr II
All Wicked Charms photos (c) Copyright by the author and publisher

Comments