Reading Habits: Old Vs New- What Kind of Book Buyer Are You?

 


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

   I mainly buy previously owned books, but I also love to visit my local bookshops and show my support. Whatever reason you may have a book in your hand, think of one thing before you read: what is the history of this book?


  THE OLD:

  For me buying books has always been an adventure mainly because I rarely buy a new book. I travel to thrift stores,  flea markets, and book fairs to acquire my reads. I find it a fun challenge to pick up books that I have been wanting to read for a while at a low price. And most book fairs and thrift stores support a charity and the community, which makes your purchase more meaningful.

  I have recently discovered new books that were released in 2015 at my local Goodwill. But what I like to see is the history of a book. I love a book that has writing on the inside, whether it be a signed edition or a personal message to someone from a loved one that gave them the book. I love a well-worn paperback with multiple spine breaks. Each break shows how much this book was enjoyed. And the frayed cover of the book tells me that this was good enough to bring everywhere. 

  Recently I purchased a copy of The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. It was a worn paperback copy with frayed pages and a couple of spine breaks at a local Savers. As I read the book I could imagine what the previous owner was feeling about this story. At the point where a beloved character dies, the spine break was the most severe. I could imagine the sadness and shock of the previous owner creating this break in the binding. I shared this moment, as well. Even though I had read this novel twenty years prior, the scene still affected me emotionally. And the book's spine break became more profound with my reading.

 THE NEW:

 As much as I love to search for older books, I also love my local bookstores. If there is a series I like to read, and a new book in the series is being released I may buy it new. Bookstores also have their finger on the pulse of the book community. They are informative and can find you any book. I have ordered many hard-to-find books from a local bookstore. In my area is the Hickory Stick Book Shop of Washington Depot, Connecticut has a great staff that is willing to make a reader's book dreams come true.

THE FUTURE:

  I think that sometimes people forget that books are created to be read, and not just collected. I have fallen into this category in the past, and have realized how much this state of mind can ruin my feelings about books. This is a valuable lesson to learn that can enrich your reading experience. Yes, reading. Collecting can be fun, but remember that opening a book and enjoying the narrative is what really matters.

  Now it is your turn. What kind of book buyer are you? Please leave your comments below, and share your book-buying experiences. 

   If you wish to donate to my publishing fund at Venmo. All donations are appreciated.



      Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and Mercari.

 

  SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS AT LINKTREE

 

 Because there is always time to read,

 Xepherus3

 All written content (c) Copyright 2023 by Thomas Bahr II

Top logo designed by Xepherus Studios


 

Comments