My Top 10 Reads of the Past Decade



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  Since 2015 I have had a presence in the book community reading and reviewing novels and sharing my love for all things Pop Culture. Now that it is 2020, I thought that it would be fun to share my Top Ten Reads of the past five years.

  These are books that I raved about and could not get out of my head. This list in alphabetical order and links to my original reviews are linked to each title. Maybe you will find a new favorite read after seeing my picks.




Angels and Demons by Dan Brown- In this first book of the popular Robert Langdon series, we are thrust into the heart of Vatican City. A deadly bomb has been planted and four Cardinals have been kidnapped. It is a race against time as science and religion clash with deadly results. This was book was an amazing journey that I will never forget. The set-up, the writing, and the finale had me reading this book in two sittings. 


Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid- I am a huge fan of music documentaries and when I read this fabulous book, I could not stop thinking about it. Using the full-cast audiobook, I was immersed in the 1970s world of rock and roll. Daisy is a damaged heroine in this story, which brought an incredible depth to the narrative. The over-all biography style was satisfying and I felt that I was researching The Six along with the biographer. So real, that I had to keep reminding myself that the band never existed. Excellent reveals and an ending that had me tearing up. I plan to re-read it this year. 



Doctor Sleep by Stephen King- The Shining is one of my favorite books from King. I never thought that a sequel could be better than the original, but this book proved me wrong. Set decades after the destruction of the Overlook Hotel, we find Danny Torrance an adult addict reaching rock-bottom. In an attempt to fix his destructive path, he flees to New Hampshire to start over. But a young girl with the Shining contacts him with news that a demonic cult is hunting and killing children. The True Knot are ancient killers that harvest psychic energy from the innocent. They are hungry and young Abra Stone has enough "steam" to keep them alive for decades. An epic showdown on the grounds of the Overlook sent this sequel into a finale that chilled and thrilled me. Rose the Hat will go down in history as one of the scariest King villains to date. 



Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan- This romantic tale of baking charmed me in the first few pages. When Polly Waterford exits a relationship and business, she is left with little funds and options. Traveling to the island of Mount Polbearne, she is enchanted by the townsfolk and touristy location. Taking a room over an abandoned bakery, she starts to organize her life. Her love of baking quickly makes her popular with the locals and at odds with the only baker on the island. Soon she is opening the abandoned bakery and is the talk of the town. Patterned after Saint Michael's Mount in Cornwall, England, this novel's picturesque location adds to the heart and romance of this tale. A perfect cozy read on a cold night.  



Final Girls by Riley Sager- Part horror novel, part psychological study, Final Girls delivers a chilling debut novel for Riley Sager. Set in two time periods, we are introduced to Pine Cottage, a seemingly tranquil place to vacation with friends. But a serial killer is playing cat and mouse in the area and all but one inhabitant remains alive. Years after the massacre, final girl Quincy Carpenter is once again in the cross-hairs of a maniac. Famous final girls are dying suspiciously and she fears that she may be next. This book was a love letter to horror movie fans. It was filled with thrills and suspense, delivering a shocking finale that I did not see coming. 



The Night Window by Dean Koontz- Wrapping up an epic five-book series is not an easy task. But Dean Koontz made it look easy. Jane Hawk comes to the end of her battle against the cabal known as the Techno Arcadians. After four pulse-pounding thrillers, the Night Window delivers faithful readers with a finale that never lets fans of Hawk breathe. Jane Hawk is the most exciting character that I have read in a long time. I have hope that Koontz will return to her story at some point in the future. Suspense readers need to read this amazing series.



NOS4A2 by Joe Hill- When I hear that a novel is a new take on the vampire legend I do not get excited. In a world of monster books that all seem to be the same, I have little hope that something new will come along. But Joe Hill's Charlie Manx is not your typical vampire. This terrifying and often funny novel delivers many interesting characters. Murderous evil children, magical time travel, and a heroine of steel in Vic McQueen made this my favorite read of 2019. The audiobook read by Kate Mulgrew (Star Trek: Voyager, Orange is the New Black) is a wonderful way to experience the narrative. I loved her voice work on this feature. This is one horror novel that delivers on every level. Hill even links this book with Doctor Sleep, as his father did with Manx in the Shining sequel. 




Orhan's Inheritance by Aline Ohanesian- This novel is sweeping, epic, and spans the years from 1915 to 1990. It embraces the core values that every family wishes to achieve but also shows that not every life progresses as we wish it to. I found myself emotional during this novel. The story of the families affected by the Armenian Genocide is worthy of a box of tissues, and a shoulder to cry on. I was swept up in their struggles and raged inside as everything that they built was stolen from them in the most brutal of manner. As the people walked to their deaths, I walked with them, wishing that I could feed them or relieve their parched tongues. But one thing always was present in my heart during this ordeal they suffered, hope. The amazing courage of the characters of this novel is miraculous. To rise from the ashes of such devastation bears the message that we all can overcome that which brings us down.




Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner- When young boys go missing and are never seen again, local legend says the Burger Man is responsible. This boogyman is a tall tale until one night a young boy is kidnapped by the sinister legend. As the years go by the boy becomes a man, a very evil man. Playing off his love for spiders, the serial killer Mr. Dinchara cocoons his victims and hangs them from trees. He is elusive and the search for him is getting hotter. Expectant mother and FBI Agent Kimberly Quincy is on the hunt with her famous profiler father, Pierce Quincy. Traveling to Blood Mountain, they encounter evils, unlike the pair, have faced. This was a rough novel to get through because of its subject matter. Child abuse, pedophilia, and graphic murder is included. But the pacing and expansive locations made for a suspenseful read. Mr. Dinchara is frightening and his presence is like an icy wind blowing. A must-read for thriller fans. 




The Witch's Boy by Kelly Barnhill- The Witch’s Boy is fun, fast-paced, and cleverly written. This is Kelly Barnhill's third novel, and already it has gone through many printings and has been nominated (and won) several literary awards. Barnhill’s narrative is whimsical, fun, and to the point. Her world-building is rich with history and is lived-in, with an amazing amount of detail for the eyes to consume.  I found this fantasy tale to be refreshing and very enjoyable. It is a book that makes you care for the characters and cheer for their triumphs. I read this story in part with the audiobook that was performed by Ralph Lister. His penchant for voices and expressive reading added a wonderful new dimension to Barnhill’s words. I loved the production.


  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading this week.

   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository.

 



Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 
 







My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2020 by Thomas Bahr II
Book covers are (c) Copyright by the publisher



Comments