Book Review: Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary




Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  To say that Beverly Cleary is a genius is most likely not enough adulation for an author as beloved as she. Book after book, she calls out to the elementary school-age child, and tells them that everything will be okay. Since the early 1950s she has dazzled kid brains with stories of rambunctious mice, harry hounds, and naughty little girls. And all the while she never has spoken down to her readers, but encouraged them to explore life and be the best that they can be. As an adult I find that my reading has lost this aspect of storytelling. Between the horror, crime, and science fiction fare that I adore, I seemed to have lost my innocence of reading along the way. 

  This year I decided to branch off and take in some fun and cute books. Children's books, middle grade books, and contemporary books have been added to my to be read list. And one of my latest additions to reading is the books of Beverly Cleary. At the beginning of this month I reviewed Beezus and Ramona. It captivated me, made me laugh, and brought back the innocence of reading I was sorely missing. Now it is time for the second book in the series, Ramona the Pest. 



  Ramona the Pest was originally published thirteen years after Beezus and Ramona in 1968. It is currently published by HarperCollins. Ramona the Pest shifts the narrative to Ramona, who is entering kindergarten. With many fears, some excitement, and the knowledge that she will make new friends, Ramona sets off for school. But being five has its problems, especially when you misunderstand what an adult says to you. On day one of kindergarten Ramona manages to not quite get what her teacher, Miss Binney, is saying to her, and ends up believing that she will receive a gift if she stays in her chair. But the comedy of errors and misunderstandings does not end there. From arguments over ribbon, not attending school because a substitute has filled in for Miss Binney, boinging a little girl's curls, and getting stuck in the mud with her new, red boots, Ramona does not fail to amuse. And with artist Tracy Dockray returning to illustrate Ramona's adventures, the book comes alive.

  Ramona the Pest is a hysterical ride through the mind of a five year old.  Page after page I found Cleary's writing fondly brought back my own elementary school memories. It made me laugh out loud and smile constantly. I had forgotten how much this series had meant to me as a child. I could hear my mother reading the books to me, and asking me questions about them. I remembered writing book reports (some things never change), and the feeling of excitement I had to read the next book. It is a feeling that I loved resurfacing.

  I read this book in part with the hilarious narration of award-winning actress, Stockard Channing. Her narration took on an even bigger task of reading for dozens of characters. And once again her interpretation of Ramona Quimby was spot-on. I knew she was talented, but this reading of Ramona the Pest gave me new admiration for Stockard Channing. It was a joy listening to her read.

  Beverly Cleary may have taken thirteen years to continue Ramona Quimby's story. But she managed to step me right back into the story as if no years had passed. Her writing style was just as whimsical and heart-felt as it was in book one. I truly love her writing. I gave Ramona the Pest four out of five stars.
   

 Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

 
   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 








All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II


Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher

Comments