Top 5 Wednesday Hidden Genre Gems


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  Top 5 Wednesday is a Goodreads Book Club that meets weekly to answer questions presented.  Our moderators are YouTubers, Lainey (GingerReadsLainey) and Samantha (ThoughtsOnTomes). I enjoy how every week this group brings the book community together. Great fun!

  This week's question asks: What are your Top 5 Hidden Gems in Your Favorite Genre?


  Lately I have been finding a lot of hidden gems in many genres resulting in my reading eleven book in January alone. Here are some that I highly recommended reads that were great surprises:

  1. The Little Shop of Happy Ever After by Jenny Colgan- This wonderful find speaks volumes to the book lover all the while mixing in the beautiful Scottish countryside, a love triangle, and a touching story of one poor family's struggle through illness and despair. I loved this novel so much I bought copies for friends to read. A great, feel-good read that stuck with me weeks after I finished it.
  2. Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary- The sequel to Beezus and Ramona, this book was so funny that I had to stop reading to catch my breath. I am very happy that I have taken the time out to re-read this childhood favorite. A wonderful book to make anyone smile, and a grand way to take a break from being an adult.
  3. Star Wars the Last Jedi Cross Sections by Jason Fry- I loved Star Wars the Last Jedi, and I wanted to know more about the worlds that this chapter introduced. When I found the cross sections book I was not  prepared for all the amazing information that I was given. The author of the novelization takes the time to reveal the inner workings of many of the vehicles and locations of the film. It was a great addition to this Star Wars fan's collection.
  4. Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco- Horror novels are a favorite of mine, but when I read Burnt Offerings I was amazed by the novel's rich narrative, and diabolical way it worked in psychological terror into the mix. If someone has a deal that seems to good to be true...it probably is. Summer rentals will never be the same again. Truly chilling.
  5. The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer Lynch and Read by Sheryl Lee- I have read everything and have watched everything about Twin Peaks. But when Sheryl Lee was commissioned to read the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, I had to buy it and revisit this unique book from the series. After hearing Lee read the words of Laura Palmer again after twenty five years, I was given a whole experience that I did not have back in the 1990s when it was first released.

  There you have it, some hidden gems in some of my favorite genres.

  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

 
   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 








All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II

Comments