Book Review: Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco




Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  On Channel 20 when I was a kid there was an awesome block of television reserved for horror movies. Every Sunday afternoon three movies were presented to horror fans. Some were classics, and some were really awful and campy. One of these movies caught my attention when I was ten years old, Burnt Offerings. A favorite of my mother's she encouraged me to watch it with her. I liked it a lot even though some of the content went over my head. After that I saw the movie another handful of times. I always said that I would eventually read the novel. That time has come.


  Originally published by Doubleday Books in 1973 (and currently presented by Valancourt Books), Burnt Offerings is written expertly by Robert Marasco. It is atmospheric, creepy, and at times very surprising. We are introduced to Ben and Marian Rolfe, the parents of a young son, David. They are stuffed into a New York City apartment with dreams of a better life. When Marian comes across an advertisement for a Summer rental, she suggests that they disappear into the country with Ben's elderly Aunt Elizabeth. No noise. No cramped apartment. A new experience for the family. Ben agrees to meet with the authors of the advertisement, Ronald and Roz Allardyce.

  When they arrive they find that if they agree to take the home they would be taking on an enormous manor. With dozens of rooms and lots of maintenance, the rental would not only be a break from city living, but also the upkeep of the manor would be their responsibility. Ben believes that the price the Allardyce siblings are asking is too good to be true. There must be a catch. And he is right. The Allardyce's elderly mother would also be living in the manor while the Rolfes stayed there. But with an assurance that Mother Allardyce would never be a burden, Ronald and Roz finally convince the young couple to take the rental.

  A Summer home. Time away from the city. And a chance to grow closer as a family. Marian checks off her list for a perfect Summer escape. But she begins to realize that she is initially attracted to the manor in an almost territorial way. Shaking off the feeling, she eagerly leaves New York. But as she and her family unpack and begin their Summer together, a presence begins to manifest itself. Marian begins to grow obsessive over Mother Allardyce, whom she never sees, but only hears walking behind the old woman;s bedroom door. Ben begins to see visions of childhood nightmares. Aunt Elizabeth, usually spry and outgoing, begins to fall deep into old age. And Danny is the target of Ben, who nearly drowns the boy in the swimming pool. 

  As Ben grows more weary of the house, Marian grows more obsessed with the manor.  And Aunt Elizabeth grows weaker and more tired every day. But what is causing this affliction? And can the Rolfe's escape this tainted Summer rental before the manor's true malevolence shows itself to them? 

  Burnt Offerings is a well-written and deeply disturbing journey into the supernatural. With twists and turns, reveals, and tingly suspense, Burnt Offerings offers the horror reader a buffet of delights served on Mother Allardyce's finest dinnerware. The look into the desperation of the Rolfes' shattered psyche is terrifying to witness. And the evil growing within the Allardyce Manor is often soothing as the home pulls you deeper into its beauty and shows you what treasures lay within if only you will give yourself over to its splendor.

  I read Burnt Offerings in part with the audio book narrated by actor, R.C. Bray. Bray's voice is gravelly and rich, and his presentation of each character sounds as if another narrator had joined him. I was pulled in by his voice, and look forward to hearing other books read by this amazing talent.   

  Burnt Offerings thrilled and chilled me. I enjoyed the slow- burn mystery and supernatural suspense. I gave this book four out of five stars.  

  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

 
   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 








All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II


Book cover (c) Copyright by the publisher

Comments