Thursday Thrillers: Ashes to Ashes by Tami Hoag

 



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,


   

   Ashes to Ashes is book one in Tami Hoag's popular Kovac and Liska crime thriller series of books. The edition I read was the first edition hardcover novel published by Penguin Random House. In this novel, we are introduced to former FBI agent Kate Conlin, currently a witness advocate. She is tasked with fifteen-year-old Angie DiMarco, a witness to the serial killer the Cremator, incinerating his latest victim. The young girl's bravado hides a troubling childhood and even worse present lifestyle. 

  Things are even more complicated when Kate's old flame, Agent John Quinn, from her FBI years shows up to work the case. The Cremator's latest victim appears to be the daughter of a wealthy businessman, Peter Bondurant. This gathers a wealth of lawyers and politicos into the mix. As she works with Detectives Sam Kovac and Nikki Liska (9th Girl), the killer seems to be one step ahead of their investigation. He could be any of the many men they have encountered. She must work fast before she becomes ashes herself.

  Ashes to Ashes was a different read for me. I have grown used to Sam Kovac and Nikki Liska being the main characters. But in this first novel of the series, they were more background characters. This was a contrast to Bitter Season, in which Kate was a background protagonist. I enjoyed Kate and John's relationship and the genuine affection they had for one another. Sam and Nikki were fun as always and kept the story moving forward. It was a thriller filled with suspects but the final reveal was not a surprise to me. What I enjoyed was the danger and sense of urgency I felt reading about the Cremator. 

  I read Ashes to Ashes in part with the narration of David Collacci. He never disappoints with his smooth voice and even tone that flows well with anything he reads. He kept my attention during this novel and delivered the narrative excellently.

  Ashes to Ashes was a three-star read for me. It was fun to visit Kovac and Liska again. But the story could have had fewer characters and more substance. It felt like two novels instead of one. This does not turn me off Hoag's writing at all. In fact, it showed me just how amazing her work has matured over the years into the phenomenal writer she is now. Ashes to Ashes is still worth a look.

   Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

      Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and Mercari.

 

  SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS AT LINKTREE

 

 Because there is always time to read,

 Xepherus3

 All written content (c) Copyright 2023 by Thomas Bahr II

Top logo designed by Xepherus Studios

The book cover is Copyright by the publisher

 

Comments