Book Review: Her Last Breath (Tracy Crosswhite #2) by Robert Dugoni

 



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

   


   Her Final Breath is book two in the Tracy Crosswhite series written by Robert Dugoni. It is published by Thomas and Mercer, an imprint of Amazon. Taking place directly after the events of My Sister's Grave, Tracy returns to Seattle to once again feel the pressure of the media for not solving the Nicole Hansen case. Her return also gains Tracy a stalker, an unseen figure that leaves a present for her at a police firing range: a noose. As the news crews circle for their pound of flesh, more dead women are discovered tied up in the same manner as Hansen was. The serial killer is dubbed the Cowboy and he seems to be unstoppable. 

  The latest murders lead to a task force being assembled with Tracy as the lead detective. But Tracy is not just looking into the latest homicides. A case from nine years ago has evidence that does not add up, and she begins to think that the murder of the victim, Beth Stintson is connected. If this is true, a man sits in prison wrongfully convicted, and the Cowboy was left to continue killing.

  Her Final Breath was an enjoyable read. I grew to love Tracy's partners Faz and Kins even more, with their constant bantering and sharp comebacks. There was tension and suspense that led the story to places that I did not expect. And Dugoni's skill at making everyone appear to be the suspect was an excellent way to make the final reveal even more shocking. The novel hints at events from My Sister's Grave, deftly avoiding spoilers. I found that since I had already read book one, it made the references easier to understand. Plus there is a reveal near the end that directly ties to a scene from My Sister's Grave.

  I read Her Final Breath in part with the narration of actress, Emily Sutton-Smith. She delivered a solid reading of the material and added depth to much of the narrative. I love her reading of Faz and the disappearance of his coffee mug near the end of this novel, which made me laugh out loud. Once again Emily did a wonderful job.

  Her Final Breath in the end was a fun and adventurous who-done-it. I am loving Tracy Crosswhite, and I have added her to my list of favorite literary detectives. I do recommend reading My Sister's Grave before this book to flesh out the references to it in this novel. All-in-all I gave this book three and a half stars out of five. It is a fantastic way to spend your Spring Reading time and get started on a series that is quite addictive.  

   Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

      Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and Mercari.

 

  SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS AT LINKTREE

 

 Because there is always time to read,

 Xepherus3

 All written content (c) Copyright 2023 by Thomas Bahr II

Top logo designed by Xepherus Studios

The book cover is Copyright by the publisher

 

Comments