Book Review: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  To many Harry Potter was their childhood; an amazing series of magical books that captured the imagination. I was not a child when the series was released, but nevertheless I have loved the Harry Potter franchise through film and merchandising. Beginning in 2016 I decided to read the Harry Potter Series for the first time and I was not sure what to expect. The movies were amazing and I have watched them numerous times. I am one to always say that a book is better than the film, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone proved that to me. As wonderful as the movie is, the original source material was definitely filled with more adventure. I have wanted to continue reading the series, and now I have finished book two.


  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is written by J.K. Rowling, and is published by Arthur A. Levine books, an imprint of Scholastic Books. Harry Potter is back at 4 Privet Drive with his miserable relatives, the Dursleys. They have locked up his wizarding gear, locked up Harry's owl Hedwig, and have continued the coddling of their nasty boy, Dudley. On the night of an important business dinner Harry meets Dobby the house elf. He arrives in Harry's room warning him not to return to Hogwarts for his second year. He tells Harry that there is danger at the school, and that he will do what needs to be done to keep the boy away. Unfortunately for Harry this means wrecking the Dursley's dinner, for which Harry is punished further. 

  With bars on his window and a lock on the outside of his door, Harry lives a solitary existence from his relatives, who fear his magical abilities. Without even a letter from his best friends, Hermione and Ron, Harry has never felt so sad and alone. Then one night at Harry's window the Weasley Brothers appear in a flying car to check up on Harry to see why he has not answered their correspondence. With the help of his friends, Harry narrowly escapes the Dursley household. The quartet of boys travel off to the Weasley homestead in the Burrow, beginning a fantastic journey. What evil has been unleashed on Hogwarts? Why has Dobby warned Harry not to return? And why do you need earmuffs to pick a young Mandrake? Return to Hogwarts and find out, if you dare.

  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is a marvelous adventure filled with fun, excitement, and with some scary elements thrown in for good measure. From traveling with Floo Powder to flying cars to dangerous monsters lurking at Hogwarts, this book has it all. We are thrown back into the majesty of the Wizarding World with epic results. New characters are introduced adding to the mystery and lighter moments. Having seen the films I have to admit that Ginny Weasley was better portrayed in the book. She was more of a three dimensional character, and giving her major reveal, it was better suited in print. Gilderoy Lockhart, however, was definitely portrayed very well in film, and I found myself envisioning Kenneth Branagh the entire time. In the book he has a lot more hysterical faux pas than in the film. And the fact Severus Snape loaths Lockhart was hysterically conveyed by Rowling.

  As a fan who experienced Harry Potter through film first I feel that reading the books is an added bonus to the fandom. Rowling has fleshed her stories out expertly enough that a movie script could ever really bring the narrative to life completely. The magical world of Harry Potter has a lot to offer readers of all ages. Whether reading it alone or with family, this book will have you turning the pages faster than a Snitch flies by a Quittich player. 

  I had the delight of reading The Chamber of Secrets with the narration of actor/ comedian, Jim Dale. His array of voices and reading style zipped this book along and had me laughing many times. I loved his portrayal of Hagrid and Professor McGonagall, and his quick voice changes made the story even more magical.

  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was a great continuation for the series. I gave it four out of five stars and look forward to reading the next book, The Prisoner of Azkaban.

 Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 








All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II

Comments