Reading Slump Smashers: Book/ Audio Book Combination


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  I have been speaking with other readers about how they read. For some they only read an e-book. For others an audio book on the way to work saves them time. But then there are readers like myself that take it a few steps further. I utilize many forms of reading when taking on a book. With my Goodreads and Xepherus Reads reading challenges underway, I have found some great ways to keep on reading.

  AUDIOBOOK/ BOOK COMBINATION-

 I have trouble with reading from time to time. I will begin a paragraph, but then I veer off track and lose my place. This can sometimes keep me reading a page for over ten minutes. Therefore I use an audio book in conjunction with my physical book, so that I can read along with the words as the narrator presents the material. This is most helpful while reading my Kindle, which when paired up with audio book through their Whispersync feature, can highlight words as the narrator reads the page. 


  As a child I learned how to read by utilizing Book and Record sets.  Power Records and Peter Pan Records released a multitude of titles based on popular culture, such as DC Comics, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Disney films. They were easy to follow and featured a bell ring or special sound effect that denoted when to turn a page. For instance R2-D2 would beep when it was time to turn the page of a Star Wars read-along set. 

  As an adult, having a book and accompanying narration has helped me a great deal. By listening and reading I am able to stay on track with a book. And if I am in a public area reading, such as a crowded bus, I can read without issues by using headphones. Audio books also offer sound effects, music, full cast readings, and some very talented actors bringing the book you are reading to life. Some notable narrators are Lorelei King (Janet Evanovich books), Erin Mallon (Goldseer Trilogy by Rae Carson), Will Patton (Doctor Sleep and others by Stephen King), and Marc Thompson (Star Wars canon novels from Disney-Lucasfilm and Del Rey Publishing). Each of these narrators do various voices, and add extra depth to the books they read. This One Person Theater can dramatically improve your reading speed and volume.

  Have fun reading and take advantage of the ways out there to stay on track with your reading. While someone silently reads, have fun experiencing a novel in a new and exciting way. 

Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what comics you are reading.

 Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 






All written content and Top logo (c) Copyright 2016 by Thomas Bahr II

Powers Book and Record Image (c) DC Entertainment

Comments