Book Review: Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson





Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!


  There is a certain pull that happens when you enter a book store.

   You walk into an aisle not really looking for anything in particular, but you know that some how you will leave the book store with a new treasured tome. Then in the aisle, like some magical pull, you are drawn to a book. Maybe it is the cover. Maybe it is the author. Or maybe it is a title that you have heard of in passing. Whatever the reason you pick up the book, and you study it for a few minutes. And you know that this is the book that you need to read next.

  This is what happened to me when I first laid eyes on Walk on Earth a Stranger. I picked it up and immediately went to the register. The sales clerk behind the counter even remarked that it was the fastest he had ever seen me pick up and buy a book. At that moment I was unaware why I was drawn to it. I would soon learn why

 

  Walk on Earth a Stranger is written by Rae Carson (better known for her Fire and Thorns trilogy) and published by Harper Collins under their Greenwillow Books imprint. It tells the harrowing and often touching story of fifteen year old Leah Westfall. It is 1849 and she and her family have made a decent living during the infamous Gold Rush years of American history. Her father and mother, Reuben and Elizabeth, provide her with love and affection. The Westfalls are happy, despite Reuben's growing illness. But Leah has a secret that only she and her parents know about: Leah has magical abilities

  Blessed (or cursed, however you wish to look at it) with the ability to sense gold anywhere, Leah has helped her father earn the nickname "Lucky". And even though her powers could bless them with a fortune, the Westfalls have settled on a decent and modest living in the town of Dahlonega, Georgia. Leah has a few friends at school, but she is not like the other girls. She fancies rifles, hunting and farming which make her the odd girl out among the local teen girls. But she finds comfort in the friendship of Jefferson McCauley, a boy of Indian heritage living with an abusive father. Jefferson is tired of his father's ways and wishes to leave Dahlonega for a better life. With gold now scarce in their area, many are migrating to other parts.

  Then one, cold day Leah's world is shattered when she finds her father dead and her mother dying at their homestead. Someone has come to their home, murdered her family, and has stolen any gold left in their possession. Terrified and filled with sorrow, Leah is suddenly left in the hands of her uncle, Hiram, who has been named her guardian in light of his brother's death.  Feeling lost and trapped, she wishes she could turn to Jefferson, but he has left his father in search of a better life in California, where there is apparently a new Gold Rush happening.  

  But when Leah discovers who killed her parents, her situation becomes precarious. In order to escape her parents' killer and a life of servitude to her uncle, she decides to flee. With little money, her horse, and her father's Hawken rifle, Leah escapes. Cutting her hair short, wearing hat and men's clothing Leah becomes Lee McCauley. Heading for Independence, Missouri where Jefferson said he would wait for her, Leah takes to the dusty roads

  Along the way Leah faces highway men and a dangerous stint working with a flat boat crew on the river. After days on the water she finally arrives in Independence where not only does she reunite with Jefferson, but is employed into a wagon train that plans to take the hazardous trip to California through rough terrain. What ensues is an incredible journey that puts Leah to the test, showing her that within all the pain she has lived, hope is still alive.

  Walk on Earth a Stranger is my first novel by Rae Carson that I have read. During the time that I took to read this amazing book, I was drawn in by Carson's beautiful narrative. To me, it was like sitting on the porch with some lemonade listening to a beloved relative regale me with their life story. The rich, historical backdrop that is presented cradles Leah's story as it unfolds. I ignored sleep as I read on into the late hours of the night, continuously turning page after page, anxious to see what would happen next. Carson's skillful grasp of life in the 1800s covers quite a lot, including women's rights. This subject is deftly used to create an even stronger protagonist that we can believe in. Leah is never a quitter, which is a very positive message for anyone reading this novel.

  During my journey from Dahlonega to California, I was accompanied by actressErin Mallon's incredible voice work on the accompanying audio book. Her grasp of Leah's personality and smooth reading style had me hearing her voice even when I read this book without the narration. She was an excellent choice to bring Rae Carson's words to life. 

  In an author's note at the end of the book, Rae Carson explains the inspiration of her own cross-country journey had on her writing this novel. I was also happy to find out that a few of the characters, including James "Free Jim" Boisclair, were borrowed from American history for Leah's adventure. Boisclair was presented with warmth and dignity, and I feel that I grew to know this man through Carson. I am a huge fan of history and historical fiction. And touches like these are always welcome. 

  As I finish this review I cannot help but to think of the irony of this book's journey and me. Just like Leah divining for gold, I was drawn to Walk on Earth a Stranger with an incredible pull. I cannot help but to think that I "witched up" this wonderful read when I entered the book store. Rae Carson has created an epic work that thankfully has two more books to continue Leah's story. I look forward to finding out just how powerful Leah's magic truly is? I will find out when I read the sequel, Like a River Glorious, just recently released.

  I gave Walk on Earth a Stranger five out of five stars. I loved the novel's historical fiction backdrop, action and adventure, and use of paranormal abilities. It was a mix that was entertaining and left me wanting more. I highly recommend this book.

 Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what comics you are reading.

 Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 






All written content and Top logo (c) Copyright 2016 by Thomas Bahr II

Book cover and various photos are (c) by the publisher and respective photographers


Comments