My Favorite Spooky Settings




Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  My favorite time of year is Autumn, especially Halloween. I read spooky books and have fun watching scary movies. But what makes a scary book perfect? I decided to share with all of you my favorite spooky setting. Feel free to share your favorite spooky places that you like to read about.


  Here are five of my favorite Spooky Settings in Books:


  1. Old, Abandoned Homes or Empty Hotels- This worked very well in several books that I have read in the past, such as the House with the Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs and 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. The most effective one being the Overlook Hotel from Stephen King's the Shining. Large, filled with endless rooms, and a guest list of ghosts, this was the perfect backdrop for that classic horror scare.
  2. Swamps or Murky Mors- This brings me back to the Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. A creepy, atmospheric realm where mists blanket the murky ground and danger could be hiding. It worked very well for this classic mystery, bringing the reader into the Mors.
  3. Blizzard Conditions- Again the Shining handled this very well. Stephen King's choice to trap Wendy and Danny Torrance in the Overlook Hotel, as Jack Torrance (possessed by the hotel's spirits) hunted them to kill them was a genius move. Blizzards often fill one with a cozy and friendly feeling, but their situation was anything but friendly.
  4. Spooky Children or Possessed Children- This is somewhat of a trend lately in movies and books, the spooky child. They appear harmless at first, but with a little evil help, become something to fear. In William Peter Blatty's the Exorcist, twelve year old Regan McNeil is possessed by a demon that wrecks havoc on not only her soul, but the people around her.
  5. Dark, Haunting Woods- This is a great setting for scares and scary discoveries. In Harry Potter the wood held magical creatures and deadly animals that were larger than most. In the Witch's Boy by Kelly Barnhill, we see a dark and spooky forest filled with thieves, magic, and uncertain doom for our child protagonists.

Have fun reading this week. Happy Halloween to everyone. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.
 
   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 








All written content and Top logo (c) Copyright 2016 by Thomas Bahr II

I claim no rights to the animated GIFS featured in this article.

Comments