Book Review: The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown- Illustrated Edition



 

Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  The event that I have arrived to late is the Dan Brown Party. After seeing friends and family constantly recommend and talk about the Robert Langdon books for over ten years, I have finally began this globe-trotting series. Angels and Demons was a five star read for me. And almost immediately after reading book one, I had to read book two.




  The Da Vinci Code is written by Dan Brown and this illustrated edition is published by Doubleday Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House. The
Da Vinci Code catches up with Harvard Professor Robert Langdon one year after the Earth-shattering events of Angels and Demons. Langdon remains in the spotlight after his involvement in the prior year's Vatican City crisis. In Paris, France for a well-publicized lecture event, Robert is awoken from sleep by the arrival of police. Bezu Fache, a French police captain, wishes Langdon's presence at the Louvre museum. Robert has a meeting planned with a famous curator at the museum, Jaques Sauniere. But when Langdon and Fache arrive at the Louvre, the body of Sauniere is the center of Fache's request. As the scene is played out it appears that Jaques was murdered. On the floor are sentences that unravel a mysterious message. That message ends with: PS: find Robert Langdon.

  As Fache continues to question Robert on what he knew of Sauniere, Agent Sophie Neveu arrives from Cryptology. She says that Robert has been asked by the American Embassy to contact them. When he phones the embassy using the number that she gives him, he is met with a recording from Sophie stating that he is in danger and a suspect in the murder of Jaques Sauniere. After a daring escape from the Louvre, Langdon is set on the path to find one of history's greatest mysteries, the Holy Grail. Chased by an assassin named Silas and the French police, Robert must trust Sophie to get him out of Paris. Sauniere was Sophie's grandfather and she believes that he has left her in possession of the key to unraveling centuries-old mysteries. And with her knowledge and connection to the dead curator, Sophie is in as much danger as Langdon. The Da Vinci Code races along at break-neck speed as Langdon and Neveu uncover clue after clue using the works of Leonardo Da Vinci. Faith is tested and secrets are revealed, as the Da Vinci Code heads toward an ending that is unbelievable. 

  The illustrated edition of the Da Vinci Code is a large tablet of a book that adds a lot of meat to this tale. Crammed full of photos and documents, the Da Vinci Code is turned into an experience that is just as immersive as Angels and Demons was for me. I am happy that I was able to read this novel in this manner. Being able to see the places and artifacts mentioned in this book before me fleshed out the story. It also made me do some research of my own to better understand some of the beautiful locations and art in this novel.

  The Da Vinci Code also filled in the "Banned Book" part of my Reading Challenge. Reportedly banned by several countries, this novel's religious subject matter and subsequent reveal have landed Brown notoriety; both friendly and not. Television specials and books have followed the Da Vinci Code in an attempt to shed light on the narrative. But from an action standpoint this novel for me satisfied all of my needs for a great adventure. I enjoyed the mystery and intrigue and was fully invested in the grand landscape that Brown laid out before me. I enjoyed the chemistry between Langdon and Sophie. And when the villains were revealed I felt the danger that they were in. I read this book every chance I could, even listening while doing housework, when I was away from the physical book.  
  
  I read this novel in part with the narration of actor, Paul Michael. He delivered an excellent performance that included vocal changes and accents. His voice was easy to listen to, and left me wanting more. I am happy to see that he was kept on to read the other three novels in this series. I look forward to enjoying his voice once again on a book.

  The Da Vinci Code Was a five star read that whisked me away on an amazing adventure. If you are looking for a literary journey that spans the globe, this one is for you!     

  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 



At Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=Xepherus3

 At eBayhttp://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios


At Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3


 At GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/XepherusStudios

At RedBubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/xepherus3

At Twitter: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F

  All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II
 
Book Cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher  


Comments

  1. Amazing review..sums it up really well..I recently finished reading this book and I absolutely loved it. Here is my review on the same.
    https://sanjanareviews400.blogspot.com/2020/04/the-da-vinci-code.html
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment