Book Review: Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson





 Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!
 
  This is a magical time for many. The Holiday Season for me begins in October as I prepare for colder weather, Autumn leaves changing, and Halloween. It is a cozy time for me, which leads me to visit sweeping epic tales and thrillers. In 2016 I read the first book in Rae Carson's Goldseer Trilogy based on recommendations, and yes, the book calling to me. After I was finished I said that I would wait for the entire series to be released so that I could re-read book one and then continue the series. That time has come.


 
   Walk on Earth a Stranger is written by Rae Carson (better known for her Fire and Thorns trilogy) and published by Harper Collins under their Greenwillow Books imprint. It tells the harrowing and often touching story of fifteen year old Leah Westfall. It is 1849 and she and her family have made a decent living during the infamous Gold Rush years of American history. Her father and mother, Reuben and Elizabeth, provide her with love and affection. The Westfalls are happy, despite Reuben's growing illness. But Leah has a secret that only she and her parents know about: Leah has magical powers. 

  Blessed (or cursed, however you wish to look at it) with the ability to sense gold anywhere, Leah has helped her father earn the nickname "Lucky". Even though her powers could bless them with a fortune, the Westfalls have settled on a decent and modest living in the town of Dahlonega, Georgia. Leah has a few friends at school, but she is not like the other girls. She fancies rifles, hunting and farming which make her the odd girl out among the local teen girls. But she finds comfort in the friendship of Jefferson McCauley, a boy of Indian heritage living with an abusive father. Jefferson is tired of his father's ways and wishes to leave Dahlonega for a better life. With gold now scarce in their area, many are migrating to other parts.

  Then one, cold day Leah's world is shattered when she finds her father dead and her mother dying at their homestead. Someone has come to their home, murdered her family, and has stolen any gold left in their possession. Terrified and filled with sorrow, Leah is suddenly left in the hands of her uncle, Hiram, who has been named her guardian in light of his brother's death.  Feeling lost and trapped, she wishes she could turn to Jefferson, but he has left his father in search of a better life in California, where there is apparently a new Gold Rush happening.  

  But when Leah discovers who killed her parents, her situation becomes precarious. In order to escape her parents' killer and a life of servitude to her uncle, she decides to flee. With little money, her horse, and her father's Hawken rifle, Leah escapes. Cutting her hair short, wearing hat and men's clothing Leah becomes Lee McCauley. Heading for Independence, Missouri where Jefferson said he would wait for her, Leah takes to the dusty roads

  Along the way Leah faces highway men and a dangerous stint working with a flat boat crew on the river. After days on the water she finally arrives in Independence where not only does she reunite with Jefferson, but is employed into a wagon train that plans to take the hazardous trip to California through rough terrain. What ensues is an incredible journey that puts Leah to the test, showing her that within all the pain she has lived, hope is still alive.

  Walk on Earth a Stranger was my first novel by Rae Carson when I read this in 2016. She has an amazing ability to pull you into her world building head-first. During the time that I took to read this amazing book, I appreciated Carson's beautiful narrative. To me, it was like sitting on the porch with some lemonade listening to a beloved relative regale me with their life story. The rich, historical backdrop that is presented cradles Leah's story as it unfolds. I ignored sleep yet again as I read on into the late hours of the night, continuously turning page after page, anxious to see what would happen next. Carson's skillful grasp of life in the 1800s covers quite a lot, including slave and women's rights. This subject is deftly used to create an even stronger protagonist that we can believe in. Leah is never a quitter, which is a very positive message for anyone reading this novel.

  During my journey from Dahlonega to California, I was accompanied by actress Erin Mallon's incredible voice work on the audio book presentation. Her grasp of Leah's personality and smooth reading style had me sailing quickly through this novel. She was an excellent choice to bring Rae Carson's words to life. I look forward to her continued work on books two and three.

  In an author's note at the end of the book, Rae Carson explains the inspiration of her own cross-country journey had on her writing this novel. I was also happy to find out that a few of the characters, including James "Free Jim" Boisclair, were borrowed from American history for Leah's adventure. Boisclair was presented with warmth and dignity, and I feel that I grew to know this man through Carson. I am a huge fan of history and historical fiction. And touches like these are always welcome. 

  I gave Walk on Earth a Stranger five out of five stars. I loved the novel's historical fiction backdrop, action and adventure, and use of paranormal abilities. Re-reading felt like it was the first time all over again. I was just as captivated by Walk on Earth a Stranger this time as I was the last time. Now it is time to continue Leah's adventures in my end of year TBR. I highly recommend this book to anyone who love historical fiction and adventure.

   Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what comics you are reading.

 Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 



At Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=Xepherus3

 At eBayhttp://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios


At Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3

 At GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/XepherusStudios
At RedBubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/xepherus3
At Twitter: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios



All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II


Book cover is (c) by the publisher 


Comments