My Favorites of 2017: Conventions





Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  To say that 2017 was an uneventful year would be lying. During this tumultuous year I was shouldered with the responsibility that all of are left with: to make my year the best it could be. I promised myself travel, pop culture conventions, visiting family, seeing more films, and of course, reading more. I do believe that I succeeded in creating a great year. Here are some of my highlights in no particular order:

Conventions (4): I went with some awesome friends and met many amazing people.


BookCon: In June I attended BookCon with a friend that I have had since junior high school of which I share a wonderful love of books. We met on day one of the convention and left with dozens of arcs. It was a fun and crazy day filled with freebies, great food, and a New York City adventure that left us tired and triumphant. I returned for day two and attended some awesome meet-ups and panels. The Harry Potter meet-up was so much fun. I met a lot of wizards and witches that have loved the books for as long as I have (and a few newbies to the series, as well). Mayim Bialik from the Big Bang Theory was there, who is incredibly friendly. And I met some amazing new authors.
Fan Expo Boston
In August I attended this convention for two days (even though I paid for three). Formally known as Boston Comic Con, it was acquired by Fan Expo in 2017. With a new venue and changes to the way the convention was run, it was vastly different from when I worked at the Boston Comic Con in 2016. It was fun and I was able to share the experience with some very special people.
  As former resident of New Hampshire I had met some amazing people that became family to me in the six years I lived there. Since Boston was close to New Hampshire I was able to extend my trip to meet up with a lot of my family. From a trip to Salem, Massachusetts to a crazy road trip for the best Asian food to meeting up with family in cosplay at the Expo, it was an amazing trip that I cherished. 
Connecticut HorrorFest: When a friend asked me if I would like to attend the Connecticut HorrorFest in September I agreed to attend with excitement. I have been a long-time fan of horror movies and books. And one of my favorite actresses, Adrienne Barbeau, would be there signing autographss and taking pictures. As I began to enter the small convention I realized that the organizers had done a great job utilizing the space they had to deliver not only a fun event for horror fans, but for families, as well. I met Adrienne Barbeau, which was amazing. She was down-to-Earth, funny, and extremely friendly. It was magic meeting her. 
And to top that I met up with a friend of mine from my days selling soaps at gifts shops. And unbeknownst to me she is Betsy Palmer's (Friday the 13th) daughter! Another favorite actress of mine and I knew her daughter all along. I love my life.
 New York Comic Con: Reuniting again with my HorrorFest pal for day one of this massive convention, I returned to the Javitts Center for what be the start of four days of sheer geekoid amazement. Among the highlights of day one was seeing Brad Dourif, Keanu Reeves, and R.L. Stine (and getting a signed book). Day two was filled with panels, including the Star Wars writers panel where I met some awesome authors, such as Deliah S. Dawson, Elizabeth Wein, and Timothy Zahn.

 Day Three continued the Disney-Lucasfilm theme as I attended the From a Certain Point of View book panel at the Hudson Merchantile. This event was limited seating with over 15 authors, voice-over actors, and of course, Pablo Hildalgo. Sitting with other Star Wars fans, I was treated to a wonderful panel that ended with a copy of the anthology book signed by all the authors present at the event. But that was just the beginning as I attended a cast signing of Ash vs the Evil Dead. And everyone who was there was very friendly to their fans.


And of course it was thrilling to see my friend Khepera Van Stitches in her full Brainiac cosplay for the contest she would later compete in. For day four I met up with my roommates, and they definitely made the most of their one day at the convention. From toy hunting to panels to lunch together I had a blast sharing my love of pop culture with them. 

  2017 has been quite the year. And with these four events behind me I have to say that I am blessed to have attended these marvelous events with family and friends. 

  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading and what was your favorites of 2017.

 
   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 








All written content and photography (c) Copyright 2017 by Thomas Bahr II

Convention Logos are (c) Copyright 2017 by their respective owners

Comments