Spooky TBR Picks- The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

 



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

It's that time again, picking your Spooky TBR for October. In this series I recommend some amazing books that I have read and reviewed. Let's see if I can add some scary times to your TBR.

   

    

  The Haunting of Hill House is written by author Shirley Jackson, and it is published by Penguin Classics. This 1959 classic horror novel introduces us to Eleanor Vance, who is adjusting to life without her demanding mother. With a sister constantly at odds with her for their mother's estate, Eleanor is at her wit's end. When Eleanor receives a letter from researcher Dr. John Montague, she feels that the invite is what she needs to get away from her family. When she arrives she meets with Theodora, a posh-looking store owner with a flamboyant flair. Soon Luke Sanderson, the son of Hill House's current owner joins them as Doctor Montague arrives. 

  As the hours wear on, Montague finally explains the reason why Eleanor and Theo are present at Hill House. Montague is firm in his belief that their past paranormal experiences have merit. As the days continue on and their investigation begins, the house seems to change. Things move, doors close, and an arctic chill begins to manifest on the floor where the team is sleeping. Eleanor is frightened. And she begins hearing her name being whispered to her by child-like voices. Fists seem to pound the walls at night. And unseen hands turn door knobs.

  The Haunting of Hill House was an excellent example of a creepy haunted house tale. I loved how Eleanor emerged from her shell as she made friends at Hill House. I loved the creepy elements of the Hugh Crain story, and the tumultuous past of his relatives. Jackson loved to toy with my imagination as the pages turned. When the finale arrived and the unthinkable happened I was stunned. This is one story that I will remember for a very long time.

  I read the Haunting of Hill House in part with the narration of Bernadette Dunne. She made this story very entertaining with her performance, adding to the chill of Hill House. 

  In the end, the Haunting of Hill House was a four-star novel of terror. Extremely creepy and often heartwarming. I loved this novel so much that I read it in a day. This is a fantastic tale to read for spooky season. Enjoy! 

  Let me know what you are reading this spooky season in the comments below.

 Because there is always time to read,

Xepherus3


Follow me on social media by visiting my Linktree.



I am preparing my debut novel for publication. Check out the official website for clues, crowdfunding, and previews.



 Enjoy shopping with me at my eBay store and visit my Print-on-Demand sites for t-shirts, mugs, and more!


  
I am a proud affiliate of Audible & Book of the Month, Bookshop.org and Pango Books. Check out their amazing selections and save by clicking The logos below.
  







   All written content Copyright (c) 2026 by Thomas Bahr II

All store and debut novel ads are designed and Copyright (c) by Xepherus Studios

Days to Die is (c) Copyright 1990-2026 by Thomas Bahr II (T.L. Bahr) All Rights Reserved

BOTM logo is copyrighted by Book of the Month

Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Xepherus Studios 2026 Reading Challenge - My Results Tracker

Reading Habits: Book/ Audiobook Combination

Reading Slump? Or Research Triumph?