Spooky TBR Picks: Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco

 


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

   It's that time again, picking your Spooky TBR for October. In this series I recommend some amazing books that I have read and reviewed. Let's see if I can add some scary times to your TBR.



  Originally published by Doubleday Books in 1973 (and currently presented by Valancourt Books), Burnt Offerings is written expertly by Robert Marasco. We are introduced to Ben and Marian Rolfe, the parents of a young son, David. They are stuffed into a New York City apartment with dreams of a better life. When Marian comes across an advertisement for a Summer rental, she suggests that they disappear into the country with Ben's elderly Aunt Elizabeth. No noise. No cramped apartment. A new experience for the family. Ben agrees to meet with the home's owners, Ronald and Roz Allardyce.

   As they unpack and begin their Summer together, a presence begins to manifest itself. As Ben grows weary of the house, Marian grows more obsessed with the manor and the Allardyce's mother (who will also be staying in the house).  Aunt Elizabeth grows weaker and more tired every day; with terrifying visions. Can the Rolfe's escape this tainted Summer rental before the manor's true malevolence shows itself to them? 

  Burnt Offerings is a deeply disturbing journey into the supernatural. It offers the horror reader a buffet of delights served on Mother Allardyce's finest dinnerware. The look into the desperation of the Rolfes' shattered psyche is terrifying to witness. And the evil growing within the Allardyce Manor is often soothing as the home pulls you deeper into its beauty and shows you what treasures lay within if only you will give yourself over to its splendor.

  I read Burnt Offerings in part with the audiobook narrated by R.C. Bray. Bray's voice is gravelly and rich, and his presentation of each character sounds as if another narrator had joined him. I was pulled in by his voice, and look forward to hearing other books read by this amazing talent.   

  Burnt Offerings thrilled and chilled me. I enjoyed the slow-burn mystery and supernatural suspense. I gave this book four out of five stars. This is an excellent Spooky Season read.

     Let me know what you are reading this spooky season in the comments below.

 Because there is always time to read,

Xepherus3


Follow me on social media by visiting my Linktree.


I am preparing my debut novel for publication. Check out the official website for clues, crowdfunding, and previews.



 Enjoy shopping with me at my eBay store and visit my Print-on-Demand sites for t-shirts, mugs, and more!


  
I am a proud affiliate of Audible & Book of the Month, Bookshop.org and Pango Books. Check out their amazing selections and save by clicking The logos below.
  







   All written content Copyright (c) 2026 by Thomas Bahr II

All store and debut novel ads are designed and Copyright (c) by Xepherus Studios

Days to Die is (c) Copyright 1990-2026 by Thomas Bahr II (T.L. Bahr) All Rights Reserved

BOTM logo is copyrighted by Book of the Month

Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Xepherus Studios 2026 Reading Challenge - My Results Tracker

Reading Habits: Book/ Audiobook Combination

The 2019 Xepherus Reads Reading Challenge