Reading Habits: The DNF and What Causes It

 



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

      At times I am tempted to not finish a book but I want to give the author another chance. In the past I have not finished books, only to pick them up again. Here are a few reasons I will DNF a book:

  1. The book takes a long time to get going (When a book takes more than sixty pages to catch my interest, there is an issue finishing the story.)
  2. The book starts off great, but drags mid-way (I have read books that have moved at a very fast pace. Then they start to slow to a point that removes you from the narrative. This is most commonly found in young adult reads, especially if a love story is introduced.)
  3. The book features a protagonist that I do not like (This happened before, especially when the story is written from the perspectives of two different characters. If I do not like one of the main characters, then this can ruin the story for me. For example, an overly whiny character that is constantly complaining.)
  4. The book's author has a style of writing I cannot get into (Oh, this can be a doozy to deal with. In my opinion if you know that you cannot write a romance, please do not. Stick with the genre that you are best at writing.)
  5. The audiobook narrator that is monotone (This has ruined many books for me when a narrator is monotone and reads the entire book that way. A good narrator can capture voices, and convey the character's emotions well if they put some effort into it. I have heard some atrocious audio actors, and have just ended up reading the book on my own when I had the chance to physically hold the book.)

   Let me know in the comments below what you are reading. Have you DNF'd a book recently?

   If you wish to donate to my publishing fund at Venmo. 




Or at Buy Me a Coffee 


      All donations are appreciated.

      Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and Mercari.

 

  SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS AT LINKTREE

 

 Because there is always time to read,

 Xepherus3

 All written content (c) Copyright 2023 by Thomas Bahr II

Top logo designed by Xepherus Studios


 


Comments