Hollywood Memoirs: This Time Together- Laughter and Reflection by Carol Burnett

 



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

  


  This Time Together has touching and funny stories of Carol Burnett's many friendships including, Lucille Ball, Beverly Sills, Julie Andrews, and of course, the cast of The Carol Burnett Show. Each chapter is loaded with side-splitting humor and self-aware commentary. Carol makes fun of herself many times and illustrates an amazing life that begins as a young girl visiting the movies. Little Carol dreams of a career in entertainment, swooning over Jimmy Stewart. We are introduced to her family, with each chapter that is written with great love and respect. Carol is a woman who has persevered. She decided early on that she would be an entertainer, and her journey is often riveting.

  Out of the many amazing stories she tells, four will be forever stuck in my mind: 

  1. Carol gets a job as a young woman at a theater. She is appalled when a couple comes in at the end of an Alfred Hitchcock flick. And she addresses her concerns with the couple. What transpires afterward would stay with her until the day she was given her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
  2.  Carol's friendship with Lucille Ball. This mentor-like relationship spans many years of laughter, advice, and much love. But on the day of Carol's birthday, she is given unexpected news that makes her last birthday gift from Lucy very bitter-sweet.
  3. The chin story. It involves John Houston, the movie Annie, and a re-shoot of a musical number that comes after Carol had her chin augmented. I had to watch Annie again to spot what she was talking about.
  4. Barbara Stanwick's Leprachaun. All I know is when he talks...listen.
     I read this memoir in part with the audiobook read by Carol Burnett. She has an amazing ability to whisk you away with her humor, love, and sincerity. I felt like an old friend was sitting down to tell me a story. It will rank in my top twenty of audio adaptions, and I highly recommend getting it as a companion to this book. It will enhance the book one hundredfold.

  I was very pleased with this memoir and found the life of Carol Burnett to be very entertaining. As I read each chapter I remembered sitting on the floor in front of the television as a child watching Carol. With each story she told of her variety show, I found myself smiling and remembering each episode (especially Went with the Wind). It is a wonderful read that will have you laughing out loud and smiling ear to ear. 

  I gave this book five out of five stars.

   Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

   If you wish to donate to my publishing fund at Venmo. All donations are appreciated.

If you wish to donate to my publishing fund at Venmo. 




Or at Buy Me a Coffee 


      All donations are appreciated.



      Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and Mercari.

 

  SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS AT LINKTREE

 

 Because there is always time to read,

 Xepherus3

 All written content (c) Copyright 2023 by Thomas Bahr II

Top logo designed by Xepherus Studios

The book cover is Copyright by the publisher

 

Comments