My Top 5 Best Books of 2018



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  2018 was an incredible reading year for me filled with four and five star books. I have recommended (and raved) about many authors and their works. This definitely dictates that I should end 2018 with a top 5 best list.

  Join me as I count down my favorite books that I read of 2018 (for my full review, please click on the book covers).





05) The Death of Mrs. Westaway- Ruth Ware was an author that I had never read before. But when Simon & Schuster sent me a review copy of this novel, I was a dedicated fan of hers by the last page. When Harriet "Hal" Westaway receives a letter telling her that she is an heir to a fortune, she can hardly believe her luck. Down and out and in debt to a loan shark, Hal must pretend that she is indeed the Harriet Westaway that the letter announces. But the Westaways are suspicious and their long-time caretaker seems to hate Hal. As her life becomes in danger from unseen persons, Hal will need to keep her head or lose it. This tale of Gothic-style family mystery had me losing sleep to finally see what the real story behind Trepassen House was. As Hal Westaway discovered her true origins, I was as shocked as the character was at the final reveal. Intense, thrilling, and an old-fashioned whodunit, the Death of Mrs. Westaway was an amazing read.




04) Deeper Than the Dead- Tami Hoag knows suspense and crime. But this take on the criminal process in the late 1980s was a refreshing take on the crime novel. When a serial killer plagues the people of Oak Knoll, retired FBI Agent Vince Leone is called in to help the local authorities. But the See-No-Evil Killer has his sights on the town's pretty school teacher, Anne Navarre. The teacher already has her hands full with a disturbed student, who may or may not be planning murder, as well. Deeper Than the Dead has it all: a deadly killer, charismatic cast, and a heart-stopping finale. I went on to read the entire trilogy within a week. I have always loved Hoag's books, and this one was a stellar beginning to a fantastic trilogy. I hope that we see more of these characters in the future. 



03) Angels and Demons- When a CERN scientist is murdered and the brand of the Illuminati is discovered on his chest, Professor Robert Langdon is thrust into the center of a heart-stopping game of cat and mouse. As a deadly assassin kidnaps and murders Cardinals, Langdon and the scientist's daughter Vitorrio, race against time not only to save the holy men, but to save the Vatican. Hidden below Vatican City is a anti-matter bomb that will make the Holy City a crater in the ground if detonated. This book was an addiction for me for two days as I sacrificed sleep to reach the shocking conclusion. I could not believe that I had waited so long to read such an amazing book. Since this novel I have read three more Robert Langdon tales. But they pale in comparison to Angels and Demons.  



02) Stillhouse Lake- Suburban housewife Gina Royal has it all. Loving husband. Money. A home. Two beautiful children. And she is completely oblivious to the fact that her husband is a serial killer. When a car careens into their family garage, the secrets of Melvin Royal become the knowledge of the world. Gina is acquitted as his assumed accomplice, and she and her children must flee to a new location. Constantly in fear of her husband (whose reach from prison is quite long) and his loyal followers, Gina is now Gwen Proctor. She buys a home on Stillhouse Lake to start over. But little does she know that someone she trusts is a member of Melvin's following. It is a race against time to protect her children and herself from being the next victims of a terrifying killer. This book spawned a trilogy that will wrap up in 2019. I loved this book and cannot wait to re-read books one and two before the third arrives.   



01) Say Goodbye- The single most memorable novel of my reading year. Featuring one of the most terrifying villains in any crime novel I have read, Say Goodbye did not disappoint. I even created a soundtrack for it. FBI Agent Kimberly Quincy is on the trail of an evil man who believes himself to be more than human. Killing his victims slow and cacoooning their bodies in trees, Mr. Dinchara hunts and destroys. A product of horrific child abuse at a young age, Dinchara does not know mercy. His brand of justice is deadly and swift. Excellent character development and strong family bonds drove this exciting tale forward to a shattering (and somewhat supernatural) ending. By far the best book I read in 2018.


  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what are some of your favorite reads of 2018.


   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 



At Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=Xepherus3

 At eBayhttp://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios


At Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3


 At GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/XepherusStudios

At RedBubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/xepherus3

At Twitter: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II

Book covers are (c) Copyright by the publishers


Comments