Book Review: The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  Mystery novels have been a favorite of mine for most of my life. I gravitate towards them, because they test my deductive skills, and regardless if I solve the crime I always have a great time. This month Simon & Schuster sent me a finished copy of Ruth Ware's latest mystery for an honest review. I proceeded to unravel a story of family drama and suspense so enthralling that I did not want this book to end. 



  The Death of Mrs. Westaway is Ruth Ware's fourth novel, and it is published by Scout Press, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. In it we are introduced to Harriet "Hal" Westaway, a Tarot card reader at Brighton Pier in England. She ekes out a meager pay from her clients, and has little-to-no money readily available for bills and necessities. One day she decides to borrow some money from a local loan shark. After she believes that she has paid her debt, she realizes that Mr. Smith uses a "different" math when calculating interest. A loan of five hundred pounds has ballooned to three thousand pounds, and Hal has only a week to come up with the funds. Hal is beside herself with worry, especially after Mr. Smith's henchman pays her a nasty visit. What is she to do? She cannot come up with such a large amount in seven days. Hal has been alone for so long after her mother's life was taken by a hit and run driver. This has left her with very few options.

  Previously a curious letter had arrived that sparks a sliver of hope in her. The letter had claimed that she was named in a will left by her recently deceased grandmother. Hal knows that could not be true, since her own grandmother had passed on many years ago. But Hal thinks back to Mr. Smith's promise of broken bones and teeth. This could be her only chance to get herself out of debt. She devises a plan to use her skills as a Tarot reader to pass herself off as Hester Wetsaway's granddaughter. On a daily basis Hal uses body language, local information, and social media to gain knowledge of her clients to facilitate their readings. As long as she did her research on the Westaway family, she could do this.

  Taking a train to Penzance, Hal enters into the world of the Westaways. Down a winding road to an enormous estate, she is introduced to Trepassen House. Brothers Abel, Ezra, and Harding are somewhat welcoming to Hal, believing her to be the daughter of their deceased sister, Maud. Harding's wife and children are also accommodating to her. But it is the elderly caretaker, Mrs. Warren, that does not welcome Hal with any affection or compassion. Upon her arrival, she ushers Hal up the stairs to where she will stay. The attic room is utilitarian, with bars on the windows and a bolt on the outside of the door. Cold and creepy, Hal is reluctant to stay in the room. Soon the reading of the will commences. And it is with Hester Westaway's last words that the lives of Hal and those of Trepassen House are thrown into chaos. 

  The Death of Mrs. Westaway reminded me of a steep mountain range filled with dangerous peaks and sharp drops. Ware takes the who-done-it formula mastered by Agatha Christie, and twists it so sharply that I felt a need to catch my breath at times. Hal is a very relatable character whose conscious is on display as she pursues her charade. This, to me, made her a three dimensional character as she questioned what her actions would mean to others. The creepy Trepassen House and the equally creepy Mrs. Warren shaded this narrative in a gray and foggy Gothic atmosphere that was very tense. This added to the dread of the novel. I did not know what was the lesser evil: staying at Trepassen with Mrs. Warren or facing Mr. Smith and his henchman.

  The family secrets that were revealed were twisty and disorienting. They played out like a Tarot card reading, each piece of the puzzle slowly turning over to reveal an even grander revelation than the last. I was certain that I had solved the mystery several times, only to be proven wrong. Ware introduces an old diary into the tale that riddles the family's stories with holes. I was engrossed in the diary's story, and enjoyed this window into the past. As I reached further into the Westaway legacy, and saw the raw brutality of the family's matriarch, I knew that the ending was going to be rough for Hal. In the end I reached a gritty and foreboding finale that left me speechless. 

  I read the Death of Mrs. Westaway in part with the narration of actress, Imogen Church. Her range of voices and theatrical approach to the presentation of the novel added depth to the story. She enriched the plot with her sense of urgency, and her ability to play out emotional scenes. There were times where I felt that Church was actually a woman named Hal telling me a story from her own life. I am very excited to read more novels narrated by Imogen Church. Her reading was brilliant.

  I gave the Death of Mrs. Westaway five out of five stars. Ruth Ware presented an old fashioned mystery with a modern twist that was irresistible. I thoroughly enjoyed the escapism of Ware's writing, and I felt transported to Trepassen House. If you love an intense mystery where everyone is a suspect, you will love this novel. It is a fantastic book to bring along on Summer vacation, or to haunt your Fall reading.

  For more Mysteries and Thrillers, check out my list of reviews. You may find a new favorite book.  

  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.


   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contriions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.

  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 






My Amazon Wish Listhttps://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II
Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Xepherus Reads Reading Challenge

Xepherus Reads 2024 Reading Challenge

Book Review: Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid