Book Review: Bird Box by Josh Malerman



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  The holiday Netflix offerings dropped a film adaptation for Josh Malerman's 2014 novel at the end of 2018. And with many of my friends and family asking if I had watched the movie, I had to say, "No". I wanted to read the novel beforehand, and I am happy that I did. My first review of 2019 starts off with a genuinely creepy tale. 



   Bird Box is Josh Malerman's debut novel. It is published by ECCO Books, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. In this post-apocalyptic novel of dread and survival we are introduced to Malorie, mother of two small children who makes a desperate attempt to forge the river as they flee the home they have known for the past several years. The children are trained to listen and are hyper aware of their possibly dangerous surroundings. As they continue on, silent and blindfolded, she reflects on the events that led up to her current predicament

  We flash back several years to Malorie who is living with her sister, Shannon. After organizing their living space, the two deal with an impending pregnancy, something Malorie is apprehensive to confirm. The two do their best to prepare for the future. But a series of strange events begin to unfold where people have been driven mad and have either killed themselves or murdered others. It seems contained on the other side of the world. Slowly the state of the world begins to break down as more and more people succumb to this strange and deadly hysteria that has emerged. No one wants to go outside. No one wants to speak to one another for fear that their neighbor or family member may already be insane. The question stands: is it an illness or are their creatures so terrifying roaming the world that to see them drives one to lunacy?

    Shannon finally is beset with madness and takes her own life. Leaving her home, a pregnant Malorie drives miles to a safe house where she is taken in by its inhabitants. But where is she actually safe? Her new housemates are suspicious and she is under watch from the day of her arrival. But Tom, the apparent leader of the group, is optimistic and is welcoming to her. Over time Malorie watches the safe home she has entered become wrought with paranoia and terror. They have let a man into their home.  A man with a dangerous past that could be more threatening to them than what awaits them outside.

  Bird Box was an exhilarating ride of chills and suspense. It twisted my mind, and had me grasped in a blanket of paranoia and claustrophobic dread. As I wandered through life with the blindfolded and terrified survivors of this book, I saw a depth of character with each person introduced. Spanning over five years Bird Box delivers excellent character development. I was thoroughly invested in each player. Malorie was brave and become the embodiment of a protective mother. Through all the dangers that she could see and not see, she managed to care for her two children in and out of the womb. As I got to know the various survivors I grew attached to them, hoping for their continued survival. Malerman's atmospheric writing style thrust me forward into the unknown, never letting me surface for air as the unseen forces surrounding the story nipped at and taunted me. He allowed the reader to develop the same paranoia and fear that his characters did. This made for reveals and scares that were more believable and surprising.

  I read Bird Box in part with the amazing narration of actress, Cassandra Campbell. Her performance was loaded with emotion and her delivery of the scarier moments enhanced Malerman's narrative. I look forward to reading more novels with her voice as part of them.

  Five stars later, Bird Box enters my personal hall of fame of books that I will remember for a long time. This novel's claustrophobic and dread-laced story will give you nightmares. And do not be surprised if you venture out in the world a little more aware of your surroundings. I loved this so much that I may re-read it in October for Halloween. Bird Box is an excellent book that I highly recommend. And I will be searching out more of Josh Malerman's works.

  Here is to an fabulous reading year filled with five star reads!

  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what are some of your favorite reads of 2018.


   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 



At Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=Xepherus3

 At eBayhttp://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3


 At GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/XepherusStudios

At Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/xepherusstudios/

At RedBubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/xepherus3

At Twitter: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2019 by Thomas Bahr II

Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher


Comments