Book Review: My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni




 Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  Taking the time to enjoy a new series can be very beneficial to anyone who wishes to try a new author. Quite often the first book in a new series can lead to hours of fun delving into a new literary world. When I was digging through my To Be Read pile (which is now the height of the Chrysler Building), I came up with book one in the Tracy Crosswhite series. Now six novels (and two short works) as of June 2018, this series has been buzzed about online and by fellow readers. I figured it was time to see what all the excitement has been about. 



   My Sister's Grave is written by Robert Dugoni, and is published by Thomas and Mercer, an Amazon imprint. In it we are introduced to homicide detective, Tracy Crosswhite. Working out of Seattle, Washington, Tracy has seen her share of the horrors that world has to offer. But nothing will ever match the grief-inducing search for her sister. Missing for over twenty years, Sarah Crosswhite's abduction and disappearance has haunted Tracy's every waking moment. The young woman had disappeared the night she drove home alone to their hometown of Cedar Grove.  A local man, Edmund House, remains incarcerated for past two decades after his murder confession to Cedar's Grove's sheriff, Roy Calloway. And for those many years, Tracy has been suspicious that the evidence collected may have convicted an innocent man. The investigation has lost Tracy a career and a marriage, and in their place she became a detective to find the truth.

  But then human remains are found at an abandoned development in Cedar Grove. After tests are conducted, the remains are identified as Sarah Crosswhite. Tracy is on the scene to watch the excavation of her sister's bones from the shallow grave that she has held residence. But Roy Calloway is not happy to have a "hot shot" homicide detective in his stomping grounds, and forbids Tracy's involvement. Being one that does not cower from any challenge, Tracy stays. She soon secretly meets with Kelly Rosa, the forensic anthropologist in possession of Sarah's remains. Two two sit over coffee as Rosa explains her findings, which lead to more questions.

  After her sister's funeral, Tracy reunites with an old friend , Dan O'Leary, who has gone on to become a lawyer. Dan was childhood friends with both Tracy and Sarah, and shares many good memories of the now declining town. As Tracy begins to speak with the residents of Cedar Grove, Sheriff Calloway reminds Tracy that since the case is closed and her sister has been buried, she has no reason to be hanging around. But something has been eating at Tracy for decades.. the trial. The evidence never made sense, and Tracy begins to think that Cedar Grove's residents had secrets that to this day they plan to take to their own graves.

  Tracy and Dan begin to unravel the events that led to Edmund House's arrest and conviction. More irregular evidence surfaces, and Dan moves for a re-trial. This begins to rattle Sheriff Calloway and the state defense attorney. As the court once again is abuzz with the Crosswhite disappearance, and now murder, Cedar Grove braces for a media blitz, and the threat of a dangerous snow storm. But the question still remains: did Edmund House really kill Sarah Crosswhite? And if he did not, then who did? Tracy is once again in the cross-hairs of a killer, and the events of twenty years ago become deadlier.

  My Sister's Grave was a relentless piece of thrilling work. The story was taut, suspenseful, with a dash of action-adventure thrown in. Tracy Crosswhite became a new favorite character as I read this novel into the wee hours of the morning. Dugoni's narrative peppered real and false clues throughout, throwing me off course as I investigated alongside Tracy. I was thoroughly surprised by the twit ending, and it left me speechless. I particularly enjoyed Cedar Grove, which called up many small towns that I have either lived in or visited. Even left in a neglectful state I liked the community.

  I read this novel in part with the narration of actress, Emily Sutton-Smith. I enjoyed her work on other novels, and was happy to return to another novel read by her. She did a great job delivering drama and emotion to her lines. And she added a great depth to the story's overall feel. I am happy she reads the other books in the series. For me, she is Tracy Crosswhite.

  My Sister's Grave lived up to the hype, and surpassed my expectations. Robert Dugoni did a wonderful job weaving a mystery so tight, that when it unraveled it did so like a whip-shot. I gave this novel four out of five stars. I look forward to reading more from this series. Great Summer reading!       



Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

 
   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 



At Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=Xepherus3

 At eBayhttp://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios


At Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3


 At GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/XepherusStudios

At RedBubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/xepherus3

At Twitter: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II

Book Cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher


Comments