Tuesday Talks: Dressing Up a Book


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  Tuesday Talks is an wonderful group on Goodreads that is a weekly discussion forum created by BookTubers Janie Johnson and her pal, Janelle. It is a fun and active group to be a part of.

 Unfortunately this group's weekly topic ended in 2017. I would like to carry on this tradition by creating my own subjects, or stepping back in time to answer those weeks that I did not.   

   This week's question is: When it comes to how a book looks, what are your favorite things about a book's special presentation? 



  I have loved searching out books with fancy bindings or variant presentations. Quite often book subscription boxes will feature alternate covers, or book stores will feature bonus presentations. Here are some things I love about books that are dressed up in a special way:


  1. Gilded pages- I have a few of Barnes and Noble's leather-bound books with gilded pages. They are a beautiful way to display classics or favorite reads. Seeing those gold or silver, shiny pages makes opening a book special occasion to me . 
  2. Embossed book binding- Taking off a dust jacket can at times be a very uneventful thing to do. But sometimes you will find a publisher that takes the added step to make  a book look amazing without a dust jacket. Two examples of this are Heartless by Marissa Meyer, which features a beautiful leather-bound look with foil embossing. And Passenger by Alexandra Bracken, which features foil embossed imagery.
  3. Shiny logos and cover elements- Dust jackets take center stage when this happens. Some publishers will create jackets with foil embossing, shiny paper, or spot varnishing part of the cover. These definitely look great in a book collection.
  4. Alternate dust jackets- Book subscription boxes often feature alternate dust jackets that are exclusive to them. Even stores like Barnes and Noble and Target will occasionally create special covers for readers. Book conventions have also managed to give us very creative alternate dust jackets, such as 2017's Star Wars: From a Certain Point a view, which featured a convention exclusive for New York Comic Con, featuring exclusive artwork.
  5. Additional bonus illustrations- When a book is re-released as an illustrated edition, or features newly commissioned artwork pages, I usually buy them. The Harry Potter illustrated editions are truly beautiful, and make the story flow even more exciting.


  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.

  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 










All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II

This is not a paid promotion from any of the companies mentioned. And these are my own opinions.

Comments