Book Review: Find Her by Lisa Gardner




Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  There is a type of book that haunts you. It is a tome filled with pages that grasp at you until they finally grab you and hold on. The pages tease you. The pages fill you with dread. The pages make you feel as if the protagonists will never make it out of danger. And then a light is shown, brilliant and alive. And you leave the book weak, excited, and satisfied that you spent your time reading a novel so amazing that you yearn for more. More dread. More taunting. And more thrilling endings. And if you are a fan of Lisa Gardner, then you definitely know what it is like to feel this way.



    Find Her is written by best-selling author Lisa Gardner, presenting the eighth book in her popular Detective D.D. Warren series. It is published by Penguin Random House under their Dutton Books imprint. In it we are introduced to kidnap survivor, Flora Dane. After being held captive for four hundred and seventy-two days, Flora has emerged someone different. Five years after her abduction she is a survivalist and apparent vigilante, seeking out predators to bring them to justice. Then one night her surveillance goes awry and Flora is abducted at a Boston nightclub. When Sergeant Detective D.D. Warren arrives at the kidnapper's home, they find him burned to death and Flora naked and bound in his garage. 

  A mystery begins to unfold as personal belongings of several other girls are found in the kidnapper's house. But there is one girl whose belongings are not at the man's home, Stacey Summers. Summers was abducted several months prior, and it was her abduction that Flora Dane was investigating. As D.D. begins to unfold the layers of the now growing mystery, Flora vanishes. This ushers in a sinister evil from the past may either solve this mystery or put Warren in the ground. 

  Find Her is crime fiction at its best. There are more twists and turns in this novel than the most thrilling roller coaster. Just when I thought I had solved the mystery and identified what was happening Gardner seemed to point to the rug I was standing on, and laughed as she yanked it out from under me. Find Her is presented with three distinct voices that seamlessly flow as the book unravels its diabolical narrative. But Gardner knows when to give information and when to save it for later. She lets us peek under the lid of her box of horrors from time to time, and when she does we are sent reeling back with each revelation.

  I read this book in part with the narration of Kirsten Potter. An experienced voice actress, Potter delivers Find Me with various accents and voice changes, as she maneuvers Lisa Gardner's novel like a sleek race car on a high-speed track. And with the daunting task of reading Flora Dane's duel narrative (one as a captive and one as a survivor), Kirsten Potter presents to us the voice of a woman whose very psyche is shattering, while transitioning flawlessly into the Flora of today. She read with a sense of urgency that at times made me feel it was Potter in danger and not our protagonists. I was impressed and I look forward to enjoying more of her work.

  After settling this book back into my library I felt energized and excited. This five star read was just one out of nine books featuring Detective D.D. Warren. And I realized that I have a an excellent new source of suspense in my life. Read this book. I cannot stress it enough. It has become one of my all-time favorite books and will be yours, as well.

 Just be careful peeking under the lid....

Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 








All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II

Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher

Comments