Thursday Thrillers: The Boy by Tami Hoag


 

Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,


      

   Written by Tami Hoag, the Boy is released from Dutton Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House. In it, we return to the French Triangle of Louisiana and the lives of married detectives Annie Broussard and Nick Fourcade. The two have a young son, named Justin, who is the light of their lives. Although police work occasionally gets in the way of their relationship, they work hard to maintain their love for one another. One evening the couple is called to handle a recent murder. What they discover makes them determined to find the killer at any cost.


  Lying dead in his bedroom is seven-year-old KJ Gauthier. A victim of a vicious stabbing, the child is left in a state that tugs at Broussard and Fourcade as not only detectives but parents.  KJ's murder is senseless and devastating. His mother escaped the killer, fleeing to a nearby house for help. But who could have killed a child and why? As the detective duo uncovers more evidence, they are confronted with an unspeakable answer.

  The Boy was a mystery that had me going in many directions trying to solve the murder of KJ Gauthier. Hoag delivered many clues to the killer's identity, but she also added many twists that changed my mind a few times. There are a few triggers in this book involving domestic violence and violence toward children. Hoag did not hold back from these topics, and it made the story even more chilling. Hoag's villains were dangerous and her protagonists were characters that I rooted for. In the end, I was left with a finale that surprised me a few times.   

  I read this book in part with the amazing narration of actress Hillary Huber. Her grasp of accents and her dramatic presentation of the Boy elevated this tale's suspense. Huber has never disappointed me with her voice work, and the Boy was no different. I look forward to more audiobooks read by her.

  The Boy is another five-star read for me. I was given a juicy tale of murder and motive that ended in a shocking finale. This a cuddle-under-covers-and-sacrifice-sleep kind of book. Enjoy!


 Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what are some of your favorite thrillers.

      Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and Mercari.

 

  SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS AT LINKTREE

 

 Because there is always time to read,

 Xepherus3

 All written content (c) Copyright 2023 by Thomas Bahr II

Top logo designed by Xepherus Studios

The book cover is Copyright by the publisher

 

Comments