Book Review Rewind: In the Clearing by Robert Dugoni




 Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!


  In Her Tracks by Robert Dugoni is on sale this week. And to celebrate, I'm sharing all of my reviews for the Tracy Crosswhite series thus far. Enjoy!
 


   
     In the Clearing is book three in the Tracy Crosswhite detective series by Robert Dugoni. It is published by Thomas and Mercer, an imprint of Amazon. It brings us into the heart of two mysteries; one in present-day and one begun forty years prior. In 1976 a young Native American girl named Kimi Kanasket disappeared while walking home from her job as a waitress. Fearing that something happened to her, Officer Buzz Almond worked with a search party to find the teenager. What he ended up finding was the girl's body, and her death was concluded as a suicide. Over the years as Almond's career finally led him to become sheriff, he never stopped digging. He knew that there was more to her case than a simple suicide. 

   Decades later, with his funeral behind her, Buzz's daughter, Jenny, has found the Kanasket file in her father's home office. When Jenny's old academy friend, Tracy Crosswhite, arrives for Buzz's services Jenny asks her to look into the disappearance of Kimi Kanasket. As Tracy begins to unravel the clues left by Buzz Almond, she begins to see a pattern in how the case was mishandled. But mostly she sees a community that would rather celebrate the town's popular football team, than mourn the loss of a teenage girl. The four golden boys of that football team are in Buzz's folder. And as she begins to investigate their current whereabouts, Tracy discovers that Kimi's death was more horrific than anyone could have imagined. 

  In the Clearing was a crisp, tense thriller that surprisingly contained a lot of heart. As the story of Kimi Kanansket was revealed, I saw a heartbreaking story unfold. Even when the sinister machinations behind her death were revealed, I thought of her family and how painful their lives had been for forty years. Dugoni also inserted some excellent new characters that I loved, including newspaperman, Sam Goldman. Quirky and always eager to help Tracy, Sam was not only a major help to her, but provided comic relief that broke up much of the dark matter of Kanasket's case. I also found that Kinsington Rowe and Vic Fazzio had a larger role that fleshed out their stories nicely. As I settle in with this series' characters I love it when Dugoni gives us deeper glimpses into their lives.

  I read this book in part with narration by Emily Sutton-Smith, who makes her return, having read books one and two. By this book she has made the characters her own, playing upon their accents and personalities quite well. I have enjoyed many books narrated by her, and this was one of her best performances.

  In the Clearing was a four-star read for me. It was suspense-filled, with a storyline that tugged at my emotions. I will never forget Kimi Kanasket's story or the reasons behind her death. This was more than a thriller or crime novel, it was an exercise in humanity that challenges prejudices and people's views on the meaning of life. I was very pleased with this book, and I hope that many of you experience it as I did.   

Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading this week.

     Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and Mercari.

  

 Because there is always time to read,

Xepherus3


  

 At eBayhttp://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Goodreads: 
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3

At Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/xepherusstudios/

At Mercarihttp://www.mercari.com/u/436393791

 

At RedBubblehttp://www.redbubble.com/people/xepherus3

At Twitterhttps://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

My Amazon Wish Listhttps://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2020/2021 by Thomas Bahr II


Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher






        

Comments