Book Review: Cross Her Heart by Melinda Leigh





Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!


   Just the thought of a free or reduced-price book gets me very excited. I love opening up a store's site and seeing books reduced. And when the books all come from the same author, the wallet may have to suffer. In my case, Kindle had a bunch of Melinda Leigh thrillers on sale with audiobooks. I took the plunge and after this book, I am happy that I did. 



     Cross Her Heart is the latest novel from suspense writer, Melinda Leigh. It is published by Montlake Publishing, an imprint of Amazon. In this first book of a new series, we are introduced to homicide detective Bree Taggert. A survivor of horrific domestic violence, Bree worked hard to become a member of law enforcement. Estranged from her siblings, she tries to include them. Then one day she receives a desperate call from her sister, Erin. Driving to see her sister, Bree is met with the report that Erin has been murdered, possibly by her husband, Justin. 

  Teaming up with local authorities, Bree unofficially begins to investigate her sister's murder. With the help of Justin's former partner on the police force, Matt Flynn, Bree unravels the life of Erin. It is a life that eerily mirrors that of their mother, killed by their father when they were young. But the truth of Erin's death is one that may put both Bree and Matt in the ground. She will have to cross her heart and hope she survives her sister's killer.

  Cross Her Heart was a tense and fun book with a finale that had me reading faster and faster to see how it would end. Melinda Leigh has an excellent grasp of writing that sucked me in from the first chapter. Her world-building was very well presented and her characters were some of the most likable I have read in a thriller. Bree is definitely going to make a great character to build a series from. Her personality had me rooting for her during the story. Matt was a great foil for Bree, keeping her grounded in a small-town mentality that big-city Bree lacked. I loved her niece and nephew and their loyalty to Bree. And even their slimy father added more tension as he tried to gain custody posing as a minister of a megachurch. And that ending... I will let you know that it was suspenseful and left me believing that no one was getting out alive. 

  I read Cross Her Heart with the excellent narration of actress, Christina Traister. I have read other novels with her performances and I loved them all. She has a great way of reading characters and gives a sense of urgency to she reads. I loved her work on this book.

  Cross Her Heart was a fun and exciting read that started a new series with a bang. Four stars later, I am a Melinda Leigh fan and cannot wait to read more of her books. This is a great boredom buster or reading-slump remedy. Enjoy!

  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading this week.

     Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository.

  

 Because there is always time to read,

Xepherus3


  
  
  
  
   
My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2020 by Thomas Bahr II

The book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher








Comments