Book Review: When I Was You by Minka Kent


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

    Let us face it. I am addicted to reading thrillers. It is a genre that I love with every fiber of my being. I am always looking for new-to-me authors that can fuel the flames of non-stop page-turning. Recently (with the aid of a few glasses of wine) I went on a spending spree looking for new books that I can enjoy. Minka Kent popped up many times as a recommended author. I purchased several of her thrillers and started off with When I Was You. I never thought that this book would go in the direction it did. When I was finished, I was pleasantly surprised.


  When I Was You is written by Minka Kent and is published by Thomas & Mercer, an Amazon imprint. In this crazy ride of a book, we are introduced to Brienne Dougray. After being brutally attacked outside of her office one night, she has since become a recluse in her family's sprawling home. Her only contact is with the next-door neighbor, Enid, who is about the only member of her social group nowadays. She has a tenant that rents a couple of rooms from her, but their interaction is limited due to his busy schedule as a physician. Brienne has no mystery in her life. Brienne is alone and relatively boring. Then one day Brienne receives an envelope with her name on it. Inside is a key and a welcome letter from the Harcourt Apartments. When she inquires as to why the key was sent, she is told that she had been at the Harcourt previously finalizing her new living space. One problem. Brienne has never been to the Harcourt.

   When she arrives at the Harcourt, she enters the apartment assigned to her name. Inside she discovers another Brienne Dougray. The woman dresses and acts just like her. How can this be? Is Brienne imagining this? Has her attack somehow triggered hallucinations? Brienne is determined to find out exactly what is going on before her doppelganger takes over her life.

   When I Was You is a page-turning thriller that directs you one way, then drops the trap door under you. Filled with excellent characters and a tightly spun world-build, this novel is never slow. The fast pacing of the storyline is well-handled by Kent. She introduces several characters and takes her time to flesh them out. The twists and turns are fast and frequent, adding to the novel’s suspense. They all culminate to deliver an exciting finale.

   I read When I Was You with the audiobook presentation by actors, Erin deWard and Will Damron. Both delivered excellent performances. Erin deWard’s reading of Brienne was handled very well, with the actress conveying Brienne’s PTSD quite well. Damron’s work was also handled well. But I do not want to give away his part in this. I loved their work on this and will seek out other books read by them.

   When I Was You was a fantastic way to spend a lazy Spring day. Five stars later, I am excited to read more books by Minka Kent. She has the ability to make time disappear. Enjoy this one! 

 Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading this week.

     Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository.
   

 Because there is always time to read,

Xepherus3



   My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2020 by Thomas Bahr II

Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher

Comments