Book Review: The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James





Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!


    I began last year reading several excellent four and five star novels that propelled my 2019 reading year. One of those books was Simone St. James' paranormal thriller, Broken Girls. It was my introduction to St. James' writing, and I loved what I saw. A year later I was set to take up residence at the Sun Down Motel and I was not prepared for how much fun this book was.



   The Sun Down Motel is written by Simone St. James and is published by Berkley Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House Publishing. In this spooky tale of revenge, we are introduced to Carly Kirk. After her mother passes away, she vows to solve the mysterious disappearance of her aunt, Viv Delaney. Having disappeared from the Sun Down Motel in Fell, New York in the late 80s, Viv's case seemed to go cold fast. This is suspicious to Carly.

  Taking a trip to Fell, Carly gets a job at the same motel that Viv worked at. She also gets the same graveyard shift that her aunt maintained. With the help of a local woman, Carly begins to investigate. But what Carly is not prepared for is the haunting that has begun to present itself to her. Lights go on and off. Doors open simultaneously. And the disembodied figures of past residents of the motel begin to show up. Carly begins to realize that she may be in danger more from the dead than the living.

  The Sun Down Motel utilizes two narratives, one of Carly in the present day. And one of Viv Delaney in 1982. As the book continued I was treated to two interlocking mysteries that complimented one another very well. I loved the side characters that were introduced that helped Carly along with achieving a resolution to her questions....even though they turned out to be not what she had expected.

  I read the Sun Down Motel in part with the duo narration of actresses, Kirsten Potter (Viv) and Britanny Presley.(Carly). I have loved both narrators in the past and their work on this book is exceptional. Their handling of the paranormal element added depth to St. James' narrative.

  The Sun Down Motel is a nail-biter of a thriller. It was a five-star read that kept me guessing, ending in a finale that was exciting and fast-paced. If you want a book that will pass the time to a point where you forget the outside world, this is your book! Have fun and stay healthy, my friends.

   

 Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading this week.

     Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository.

  

 Because there is always time to read,

Xepherus3


  
  
  
  
   
My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2020 by Thomas Bahr II

Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher








Comments