Book Review: The Bitter Season by Tami Hoag



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  For several years I have enjoyed reading thrillers by Tami Hoag. Her Liska and Kovac series has delivered several excellent reads. With 9th Girl being one of my favorite reads of 2017, I have gone on to read Deeper Than the Dead, Down the Darkest Road, Secrets to the Grave, The Boy, and Cold Cold Heart




  The Bitter Season is Tami Hoag's fifth Kovac and Liska crime thriller. It is published by Dutton Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House. In this tale of two unsolved cases, Nikki Liska and Sam Kovac have parted ways as partners. She had taken up residence in Cold Cases to have more time for her teenage sons. While Sam has taken on a new partner, who has not been scared away (there have been several since his split with Liska). Nikki tackles a thirty-year-old homicide of a decorated detective. While Sam and his new partner tackle the double homicide of a much-hated professor and his wife. But what does the bloody butchering of the professor and the death of a popular cop have in common? From the surface, nothing.

  Nikki battles against push-back from the original investigating officer and various witnesses, as she deepens her search for Ted Duffy's killer. Sam is on the hunt for a sword-wielding serial killer that has eluded the authorities. Then a woman named Evi Burke enters the picture. And both Kovac and Liska have her on their witness list. What does this woman have to do with a decades-old murder and a double homicide? The truth will drag them all down in this bitter season of lies and murder.

  The Bitter Season is another tightly spun thriller that grabbed me from the beginning and did not let go. It also returned character Kate Conlin from Hoag's first Kovac and Liksa book, Ashes to Ashes, to the mix. The cast of characters and clues given had me guessing until the reveal came near the ending of the novel. And what a shock it was! This novel was a non-stop ride that has so many twists and turns that made the story very exciting. Hoag has a knack for creating storylines that deliver bombshells, and this was no exception.

  I read The Bitter Season in part with the excellent narration of David Collacci. His grasp of voices and dramatic reading of the narrative made for an entertaining audiobook. His sense of urgency kept the suspense going at a rapid pace. Wonderful work. 

  The Bitter Season was a 5 star read for me. It gave me everything I wanted in a crime thriller. Hoag never disappoints. I can always know that when I sit down to read one of her novels that I will always get a story from one of the industry's best writers. Snuggle up with a cup of cocoa and a warm blanket and enjoy this amazing thriller.      


  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading this week.

   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository.

 



Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 
 







My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2019 by Thomas Bahr II
Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher



Comments