Annual Halloween Spooky Book Tag- 2019 Edition







Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!



  It is that time of year again, Spooky Book Tag! I loved last year's tag so much I decided to do it again this year.

 This is a fun way to interact with the book community to see what everyone is reading. Have fun and feel free to tag someone. Reviews for the books mentioned are highlighted with their link. Let us see what answers I came up with this year.


  

1. Corn Maze (what book had you confused and lost from the very beginning?) Most of the novels I read were not that confusing. But Dangerous Minds by Janet Evanovich did leave me scratching my head through most of it. I was mainly confused by the writing. It did not seem like her style. She injected heavier violence than usual into a somewhat tame cozy mystery and it did not work. And the sexual banter between the main protagonists came at the most inopportune times.


2. Haunted House (what book has the creepiest setting?) Christmasland in NOS4R2. That place is creepy. And if the kids want to play Scissors for the Drifter, RUN!



 3. Ghost Boyfriend or Girlfriend (who is your eternal book soulmate?) No one this year. They were all too crazy to date.


 4. Caramel Apple Suckers (best dang Halloween book ever.) NOS4R2 by Joe Hill is my favorite book that I read in 2019. This crazy horror ride left me shook. I loved every page of this exciting scare.


 5. “Vampires in Everything” (what is your least favorite Halloween trope?) My least favorite Halloween trope is the bully that ruins Halloween. This is never a fun way to read a story. It makes the main protagonist do ridiculous things in order to get even. 


 6. “Pumpkin in Everything” (your favorite Halloween trope?) My favorite trope is the last character standing. This has been a great way to excite a reader as their favorite character is beset with so many horrifying experiences that it looks like they may not survive. But ingenuity saves the day and they defeat the villain. A great example of this is in the novel Lock Every Door by Riley Sager with his protagonist, Jules Larsen.


 7. Evil Incarnate (The evilest villain) In 2019 the evilest villain that I have read is from NOS4R2 by Joe Hill. Charlie Manx is definitely the most heinous of the bunch. Stealing children from their families and then turning them into murderous vampires puts Manx at the head of the villainy pack. 



 8. Ouji Board (a book that messes with things that you don’t want to be involved in!) This is not a hard one this year. Since the majority of the novels I have read are thrillers, I would pick murder. The creepy ways that some of those characters are removed from the narrative are frightening.



 9. Full Moon (What character do you turn into on the full moon?) I would have to pick Jane Hawk. This bad-ass heroine of Dean Koontz's amazing series would be thrilling. 



 10. All Hallows Eve (the other world and this world have meshed for one night; what book world would you love to be swept up in?) Any Harry Potter book would be a fun way to take advantage of this. Who wouldn't want to spend time at Hogwarts? 



 11. Voodoo Doll (what author(s) would you love to take control of and make them write you anything you want?) Dan Brown and Dean Koontz. I would team up Robert Langdon and Jane Hawk for a death-defying spy thriller set in Europe. It would be epic. 



 12. Black Cat (what red flags do you look for when first starting out a book?) I love books that tease me in the beginning. A good prologue or first chapter can be the glue that sticks me to a book until the end. The best example this year was Someone We Know by Shari Lapena. The novel begins with a murder as seen through the eyes of the killer. After that, I was ready to stay with this thriller until the shocking finale.  



 13. Witches Brew (A book that had a lot of different components thrown in but the result was magical.) The Forbidden Door by Dean Koontz. This novel had elements of action, horror, and spy-thriller thrown together in a very satisfying and tense read. The series is amazing, but this particular book really had the kitchen-sink feel to it and it worked very well.

 

Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading this week.



   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository.




 




Because there is always time to read,

   Xepherus3   





At Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=Xepherus3












My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F



All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2019 by Thomas Bahr II

Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher

I claim no rights to the Halloween GIFs and JPGs




Comments