Book Review: Lock Every Door by Riley Sager



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  Final Girls and the Last Time I Lied were two of my favorite thrillers over the past couple of years. Riley Sager's mix of suspense and 80's horror homage made both books best sellers. When I heard the premise for his latest, I was ready for a creepy time in an old apartment building. I thought I had it figured out.... I was very wrong.



  Lock Every Door is the third thriller by Riley Sager (a pseudonym for suspense author, Todd Ritter). It is published by Dutton Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House. In this twisty tale of terror, we are introduced to Jules Larsen. She is pretty, naive, and seems to always be down on her luck. In one evening she loses her job and catches her boyfriend cheating on her. Fleeing her shared apartment, she heads to her friend Chloe's to stay. Among her belongings is a battered copy of Heart of a Dreamer by Greta Manville. A book that Jules and her sister Jane would read over and over again. Jules loves the romanticized adventures of the book's protagonist, Ginny. And she loves Ginny's life in the grand Bartholomew Building. Soon Jules's job hunt heads to Craig's List and interesting advertisement for an apartment sitter. She calls and and arranges a meeting with the building manager, Leslie Evelyn.

  When Jules arrives at the address, she cannot contain her excitement. She is interviewing to apartment sit at the Bartholomew. After her interview goes well and she is hired, she moves in to begin her three month stay. With a thousand dollars in cash payment at the end of every week, Jules is set to earn money she desperately needs. She is given a few rules, which include not being seen on social media at the Bartholomew and to refrain from talking to the other tenants. Jules finds these rules silly, but manageable. Chloe is suspicious of the deal and warns her against staying. Soon a handsome doctor enters the picture and she meets Ingrid, the apartment sitter downstairs from her. As the hours tick by it is apparent that this job is indeed too good to be true. Ears are listening. Eyes are watching. And the fairy tale stay at the Bartholomew is about to get deadly. In order to survive Jules better lock every door before her nightmares get in.

  Lock Every Door was a clever thriller that pulled me in from the first chapter and never let me rest. Jules was every young person looking to fit in and grab their piece of the pie. She overthought things and doubted herself, which led to some well written character development. I was invested in the cast of characters and loved that Sager made everyone suspicious. Leslie Evelyn's very existence made for delicious and devious presence, giving off Alexis Carrington- Dynasty vibes. And with a book dedicated to Ira Levine (of Rosemary's Baby fame), I knew I was in for a creepy good time at the Bartholomew. The building is old, creaky, and filled with lavish furnishings and famous people. As the air of opulence wafts through the Bartholomew, there is also a heart-tugging dread that captured my imagination. I was sure that I knew what was going on, then Sager proved me wrong on several occasions. The over-all mystery and tone led to an exciting finale that left me shocked. There are so many layers to this tale that to say more would ruin all of the surprises.

  I read Lock Every Door in part with the narration of actress, Dylan Moore (Blue Bloods, Bachelorette). Her voice worked very well with Jules naive personality and as the character grew, so did her tone and delivery. She handled the multiple characters well, which included an elderly woman. I look forward to hearing more books performed by Moore. Excellent work.

  Lock Every Door was another five star read from Riley Sager. It is a macabre and dark novel that shocks and surprises page after page. I read this novel in a day and it was well worth the time. If you need a heart-pounding Summer read for your vacation, this is one book that will not disappoint.    

  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading this week.

   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository.

2019 Reading Challenge (blank version)

 
 2019 Reading Challenge (my challenge)



Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 
 




At Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=Xepherus3

 At eBayhttp://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3


At Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/xepherusstudios/

At RedBubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/xepherus3

At Twitter: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2019 by Thomas Bahr II

Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher


Comments