Thriller Review: The Sanatorium (Elin Warner #1) by Sarah Pearse

 


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

  

   The Sanatorium is written by Sarah Pearse and is the first book in the now three-book series. It is published by Penguin Books and was a Reese Witherspoon pick. 

   In it, we are introduced to Elin Warner, a detective on leave after a traumatizing case almost killed her. She is on her way to the posh hotel, Le Sommet, in the Crans-Montana area of Switzerland. There, she will be reunited with her estranged brother, Isaac, to celebrate his engagement to their longtime friend, Laure. 

  But the hotel has a past that has been kept hidden from the public. It is a past that begins a new body count, as staff begin to turn up dead. And with a snowstorm, avalanche, and cunning killer on the loose, can Elin defy the odds to solve the case or become the next victim? 

  The Sanatorium was a page-turner. Pearse has a writing style I enjoyed and she gave the reader a cast of excellent characters. Detective Elin Warner was a woman living with past trauma who rose to the occasion to investigate. I loved her strength and knew quickly that she was a character who could lead a series. I enjoyed the clues left for the reader and how they led to a finale loaded with twists. 

   I read this novel in part with the narration of Elizabeth Knowelden. She was a fantastic addition to the narrative and managed to switch between accents and voices flawlessly. She was easy to listen to and I loved her sense of urgency during the exciting parts of this story. I am happy to find out she is also narrating the next book.

   The Sanatorium was an exciting 4-star thriller that I highly recommend. I was left extremely satisfied with the story. And I look forward to reading the next two in the series.

 Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

   Follow me on social media by visiting my Linktree.

 Because there is always time to read,

 Xepherus3


I am preparing my debut novel for publication. Check out the official website for clues, crowdfunding, and previews.

 Enjoy shopping with me at my eBay store and visit my Print-on-Demand sites for t-shirts, mugs, and more!



  


I am a proud affiliate of Audible & Book of the Month. Check out their amazing selection and save by clicking above.

 

 All written content Copyright (c) 2026 by Thomas Bahr II

All store and debut novel ads are designed and Copyright (c) by Xepherus Studios

Days to Die is (c) Copyright 1990-2026 by Thomas Bahr II (T.L. Bahr) All Rights Reserved

BOTM logo is copyrighted by Book of the Month

Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Habits: Book/ Audiobook Combination

The Xepherus Studios 2026 Reading Challenge - My Results Tracker

Reading Slump? Or Research Triumph?