Book Review Rewind: Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben




Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  Thrillers have been my favorite genre for decades. Sooner or later my older purchases get buried among the new, shiny books. I finally read this suspenseful novel a few years ago and  I was very happy that I chose to read it


  Fool Me Once is written by Harlan Coben, and it is published by Dutton Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House. In this tense and often nail-biting thriller we are introduced to Military Captain Maya Stern. Stern has just lost her husband to murder, and the family of Joe Burkett just wants what's best for Maya and Joe's two-year-old daughter, Lily. Her nanny is even the daughter of Joe's nanny. The Burketts wealth is evident in Maya's life right down to her beautiful home. But Maya wishes only to mourn Joe and take care of Lily when she is not working. Maya does not like the "rich thing", and cares nothing for the Burkett fortune, even signing a prenuptial agreement.


  Maya's friend Eileen suggests that she get a nanny cam for her home. That way when Maya is at work at least a record of Lily's day will be available. Maya reluctantly agrees, being someone who trusts very few, if any, people she feels that Ellen is right. As the days go by and Maya views the footage, nothing seems out of the ordinary. Until one day Joe Burkett walks into the room where Lily is playing and visits his daughter. Joe was murdered in front of Maya. There is no way Joe is alive. As the case pertaining to Joe's murder continues to be investigated, Detective Kierce from the NYPD contacts Maya. He holds news that links the murder of Joe to the murder of Maya's sister, Claire. Maya begins to backtrack to the days before her sister's death, finding shocking revelations. Were Claire and Joe the victims of the same killer? What secrets do the Burketts hold? And where is Isabella?

  Fool Me Once had me fooled from the first chapter. I had no idea where the story was going, which kept the narrative fresh. I loved the twists and turns that Coben took with the lead character. Maya's PTSD was on full display here, and it was portrayed in a very realistic and often clinical way. Coben's back story for Maya's PTSD was a tale that followed closely in the background, giving us doubt of Maya's sanity. Her family dynamic consisted of daughter Lily, military buddy Shane, and her sister's surviving family. Her relationship with her sister's husband was strained. His alcoholism was a constant contention, but Maya never gave up on him. In the end, she became a great help to her. I did not like the Burkett family, which made them great antagonists. By the last page, Coben delivered a story that ended with a shocking event that made me stare, mouth agape, at the final words that I was reading. 

  January LaVoy's narration of Fool Me Once was one of her best presentations. I have loved her work on various Star Wars projects, and I was excited to see her name attached to this novel. She managed to do an amazing job on this book, giving a wide range of voices and accents. This was a wise choice on behalf of Penguin Audio.

  Fool Me Once was a thrilling book filled with three-dimensional characters. It spoke to many, including those suffering from PTSD. It was a tale of family loyalty, love, and danger. It gave me an ending that I will remember for a very long time. I read this in one day, and I have to say that I am anxious for more of Harlan Coben's writing. If you want an exciting mystery that dips dangerously over the edge, then this four-star read is for you.    


  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading this week.


     Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and Mercari.

  

 Because there is always time to read,

Xepherus3


  

 At eBayhttp://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Goodreads: 
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3

At Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/xepherusstudios/

At Mercarihttp://www.mercari.com/u/436393791

 

At RedBubblehttp://www.redbubble.com/people/xepherus3

At Twitterhttps://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

My Amazon Wish Listhttps://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2020/2021 by Thomas Bahr II


Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher






Comments