Book Review: The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  An Unwanted Guest was my first Shari Lapena novel. I was captivated by her style of writing, and I knew that I wished to read more of her works. On a recommendation from a bookseller, I picked up this gem. When I was finished I needed to pick up my jaw from the floor, because this book's ending was definitely a shocker.



  The Couple Next Door is Shari Lapena's first thriller, and it is published by Penguin Random House. In this tense mystery we are introduced to Anne and Marco Conti, parents of beautiful, little Cora. Marco is the owner of what seems to be a successful business. Anne is a devoted stay-at-home mom, which allows her time with their baby. One night, while visiting their neighbors that live on the other side of their renovated row house, they leave Cora alone.  They are only a few feet away from Cora with a baby monitor. And as long as they check on her every thirty minutes, the baby will be fine. The night is filled with drinks and some shameless flirting by neighbor Cynthia. Anne is finished with the evening, and requests they leave the party. When they return to their home Cora is nowhere to be found.


  Panicking, they inform the police and soon baby Cora's disappearance is national news. But no ransom has been asked for, leaving the question: why? As the days wear on and there is no sign of the kidnapper's response, Anne is beyond worried. With a dark past and issues with mental stability, Anne cannot hold on much longer. Then a package arrives with a onesie in it belonging to Cora. A note attached asks for five million dollars. Anne's parents are wealthy enough to meet the kidnapper's demands, and a meeting is set. But when Marco arrives at the scene of the designated exchange point, he is met with a nasty surprise. Can the Contis get their daughter back? What dark secret does Anne possess? And what is going on with the couple next door?

  The Couple Next Door felt like someone grabbed my by the collar and led me into a nightmare. Shari Lapena's creepy and atmospheric writing drove this mystery over the edge. I was determined to finish this in one day due to the addicting narrative. And once the kidnapper of Cora was revealed I knew that this would be a four star read. I could not get enough of the crazy twists, intriguing characters, and spooky locations. Nothing was what it seemed and everyone was a suspect. But it was the surprise ending that left me speechless. Just when I thought the story was over, Lapena dealt a shocking blow to the reader.

  I read the Couple Next Door with the audio narration of actress, Kirsten Potter. I am a huge fan of Potter from her other works, and she did not disappoint with her presentation of this story. I have grown used to a book read by her that is a dramatic and often suspenseful read. I believe she could read an auto repair manual and make that suspenseful, as well. Brilliant work.

  The Couple Next Door was a thrill-ride that did not let up until the bloody end. It was filled with frantic moments, scary situations, and an ending that I will remember for a long time. This book was a four star read, no doubt. A great addition to your spooky Fall reads.      

Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 



At Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=Xepherus3

 At eBayhttp://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios


At Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3


 At GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/XepherusStudios

At RedBubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/xepherus3

At Twitter: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II

Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher

Comments