Book Review: Close to Home by Robert Dugoni



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  Reader Slump Killers are books I have on stand by just in case I have trouble starting a new book. Some of these are easy reads, cozy mysteries, or a series that I keep on hand to make sure I do not encounter a reading slump. 2017 was loaded with slumps that crippled my reading. But in 2018 I have taken some lessons from last year and I am ready. Which brings me to one of my favorite series, the Tracy Crosswhite series of detective novels. Author Robert Dugoni's decision to leave his thirteen year old legal career to pursue writing was a wise choice. Not only does he write great thrillers, but he uses his legal knowledge throughout his works to enhance the series' authenticity. I have yet to read a book from this series that I did not like. And this latest read did not disappoint. 


  Close to Home is written by Robert Dugoni, and is the fifth book in the Tracy Crosswhite detective series. It is published by Thomas and Mercer, an imprint of Amazon Publishing. In it we are introduced to D'Andre Miller, a bright twelve year old boy on his way home after shooting hoops at a local gym. His life is cut tragically short by a hit and run driver, sending his neighborhood into unbelievable grief. On the scene is Tracy Crosswhite and her partner, Kinsington Rowe. The two are thrust into the incident under the assumption of vehicular manslaughter. Tracy's weaselly boss, Johnny Nolasco, wants her off the case to pursue other homicides. But when the owner of the car turns out to be a serving member of the Navy, the case becomes even more complicated. Enter Navy JAG, Leah Battles, who possesses the same take-no-for-an-answer attitude as Tracy. 


  Meanwhile Tracy's other partners Vic Fazzio and Del Castigliano are dealing with the heroin overdose of Del's young niece. Del wants justice for his family, but Vic knows that Del cannot openly investigate who the dealer was that sold her her last fix. Del is stubborn to find the truth, and does his best to factor in patience as the case continues. Aiding in the search for the dealer is prosecutor, Celia McDaniel. With the tragic loss of her son mirroring his sister's own grief, Del welcomes her help. As the details of young Allie's last days begin to unravel, Del begins to link the latest group of overdoses to his niece. A batch of heroin spiked with an unknown drug is on the streets. And Allie was one of the drug's latest fatality.

  As Tracy and her A Team investigate their respective cases, it becomes clear that both investigations may be connected. But how is an active duty Naval officer involved? As Tracy gets closer to the truth her investigation may get her killed.

  Close to Home tackles the growing drug epidemic plaguing many communities in America. Dugoni does not hold back when presenting the reality of the prejudices and misnomers that are common. This novel also involves the Black Lives Matter movement and police perception within the community, which is displayed with a lot of emotion and heart. Tracy goes to great lengths to show D'Andre's mother that the system does not always fail to bring those accountable to justice. She also shows Shaniqua Miller that her son's life meant something and the police would not leave D'Andre's death on the back burner. Tracy's care for the Miller family was often a reason for me to tear up a few times. Tracy's compassion versus the Miller family's distrust was a delicate scenario that was handled very well. 

  Dugoni brings all of the series' favorite characters in, presenting some of the best character development for a series' cast that I have read in any novel. I appreciate the way he took characters like Del and Tracy and injected nuances that propelled them ahead personality-wise. He also understood that with a changing lead character, a new and younger character needed to fill the gap left by Crosswhite's maturity. Leah Battles definitely filled that space very well. She was a bold and likeable character whose foundation emotionally was like Tracy's, but she never seemed like a copy of the detective. I hope that she is featured in future novels in the series, or one of her own. Tracy and husband Dan's quest for a child was a poignant and filled with many of the obstacles that older couples face. I loved Del and Celia's relationship, which was presented in a very romantic and often heart-warming way. Del went from being basically a background character to a main player, and I could not get enough. His nephews, Stevie and Mark, were adorable and gave the novel some of it's funniest moments. And Vic Fazzio looking for corned beef at an Irish Pub left me in stitches. 

  I read this novel in part with the narration of Emily Sutton- Smith. The actress returned to this series a seasoned pro, with all of her accents and character voices ready to roll. After reading this entire series she has developed a relationship to the characters that adds an excellent edge to the narrative. I love her readings, and I am happy that she was kept on to continue the novels.

  Close to Home was a wonderful departure from the series' usual formula. It weaved a tale that was filled with intrigue, social issues, and excellent character development. I was fully invested in the storyline, and I was surprised by the twist at the end. Dugoni also made the triumphant return of Roger, Tracy's cat. As of my last review I had feared Dan's dogs had made the feline their snack, but he is alive and just as pushy as he ever was. This four star read was a great way to stave off my reading slump. If you have not read the Tracy Crosswhite series, what are you waiting for?        
   

Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository. I am also looking for contributions to open my business. Please visit my GoFundMe page if you wish to help me out.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 



At Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=Xepherus3

 At eBayhttp://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios


At Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3


 At GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/XepherusStudios

At RedBubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/xepherus3

At Twitter: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2018 by Thomas Bahr II

Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher

Comments