One Person Theater: My Favorite Audiobook Narrators


Hello, Fellow Book Worms!

  Let me offer you a scenario:

  It's the middle of the month, and you are in the worst reading slump of your life. You have no time to physically pick up a novel and read. Your TBR pile is stacked by the side of your bed, taunting you. Then you decide that if you cannot read a book visually, why not try an audiobook? You search for the audio production of the book you wish to read, and start it. But the narrator's voice annoys you. Their speaking is like nails on a chalkboard. You fear you are back to square one. What do you do?

  I have been in this very situation many times. However all narrators are not bad. Here is my list of narrators that are, in my opinion, the best at bringing a book to life, with my all-time favorite saved for last:

  1. Marc Thompson: currently narrating several of Del Rey's new Star Wars novels, including Dark Disciple, Aftermath, and A New Dawn. Thompson has a great knack for voices, and conveying character emotions to the audio presentation of the Star Wars novels he has voiced (his Obi-Wan Kenobi is spot-on, by the way). I find his voice easy to listen to, and he can make the hardest book fun to read. He is also recognized for his voice work on the animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Poke'mon, and Daria. 
  2. Jonathan Davis- this voice actor has narrated over thirty Star Wars novels, including, Star Wars-Battlefront: Twilight Company and Lords of the Sith. He has been nominated four times for the Audie Award, which recognizes voice over actors. His method of storytelling is not only verbal, but you can hear him physically act out scenes with various characters. He does some character voices, but his voice keeps an even tone during the narrations that I have heard. This does nothing to change his smooth, and often soothing voice. I breeze through books read by Davis.
  3. Lorelei King- narrating almost every Stephanie Plumb book and all three Wicked series novels from Janet Evanovich, Lorelei King is that type of narrator that whisks you away as she reads. Her voice work is hilarious at times, as she changes voices flawlessly with accents that are very believable. I have found myself listening to books read by her, and feeling surprised at how fast the time flies. She is also an actress that has appeared on several television series doing voice over work, including Dr. Who and Bob the Builder. Her film work includes Notting Hill opposite Julia Roberts. If you see her named attached to an audiobook, then you will be in for a treat.
  4. Will Patton: voicing such Stephen King thrillers as, Doctor Sleep, Mr. Mercedes, and Finders Keepers. Patton is a powerhouse when it comes to narration, with a voice that I found to be smooth and often soothing. His performances are like a warm cup of cocoa on a cold winter’s day, you want to take it slow and enjoy. I love the way he seems to sidle up to you, introduce himself, and becomes part of your life for the duration of the book. His impressive acting resume` includes several films, such as Armageddon and Remember the Titans. With his television performances reaching 24 and Falling Skies to name a few.
  5. Julia Whelan- stage and screen actor and award-winning narrator of over one hundred books, Julia Whelan can safely be entered into my favorite voice actresses list. Her narrations often expertly convey character emotions to the point where I was moved to tears. I recently read Cold Cold Heart by Tami Hoag with her reading, and I was astounded on how well she portrayed the lead character’s struggle with PTSD. She is currently heard voicing Marvel Studios’ new YA novel Black Widow: Forever Red. She is wonderful with accents, and her male voices sometimes made me forget a woman was reading the novel. Julia is very entertaining, and her even tone is very easy to listen to.

For my all-time favorite narrator thus far I turn to not a voice actor, but the author.

 William Peter Blatty has to be the most fun I have had reading a novel. I had the privilege of listening to his narration of his book the Exorcist this past October. A skilled director, actor, and novelist, Blatty was funny, chilling, and terrifying in his performance of the demonic possession tour de` force. He could read twelve year old Regan convincingly, and blew up my ears as the demon possessing her. I read this book in two days, and wished it not to end. His accents, emotions, and love for his characters made this amazing to listen to. I hope that he narrated more of his books, if so I will be very happy.

There you are my list of my favorite audiobook narrators. If you have not tried audiobooks to help you with your reading, you should give them a chance, especially with my favorite narrators performing them. And as a bonus some books come with sound effects and music, as well.

Because there is always time to read,
Xepherus3

Website: http://www.xepherusstudios.com/
At Twitter at: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

At Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios

At Goodreads at: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3


All written content (c) Copyright 2015 by Thomas Bahr II  

Comments