Book Review: Murder in an Irish Village by Carlene O'Connor



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

  Finding a quiet book to settle down with and lose yourself is never a bad thing to do. Sometimes my crime thriller and horror reading needs a break. I need a cozy mystery to enjoy. Recently my library offered the audio books from the Irish Village series by Carlene O'Connor. I checked out the first three and began my journey. What I discovered was an exciting mystery with just enough intrigue to give me that break from the more gruesome reads. Plus with a cover that I wanted to climb into and live, I knew I had chosen wisely.


  Murder in an Irish Village is book one of Carlene O'Connor's Irish Murder mystery series. The paperback edition that I read was published by Kensington Books. In this delightful whodunit we are introduced to the O'Sullivan Six. Lead by Siobhan, the clan of six siblings co-run an Irish bistro in the town of Kilbane in County Cork, Ireland. After a year without their parents, who were killed in a car crash, they have held onto the family business. But it has come with a price. Siobhan has held off on attending University to care for her younger siblings, while older brother James works hard to keep up on his sobriety. They are a magnificent team and are extremely tight-knit. They are considered with affection by the entire village, and live quite well. 

  One day Niall Murphy, the brother of the man who caused the crash that killed the O'Sullivan's parents, approaches Siobhan to extort money from her. He claims to have proof that his brother Billy was not responsible for their deaths. His forceful attempt to get money from her, sends Siobhan back to the family bistro out of sorts. As she winds down her day, she heads to bed. The next morning she begins day one of her new running regimen. It is early and she spots an odd commotion coming from the hair salon across the way from her family's bistro. The day before Sheila the hairdresser had asked Siobhan to give out scissors with the salon's logo on them for Sheila's grand re-opening. The hot-pink shears were a dangerous promotional item in Siobhan's eyes and she refused to hand them out. Returning to the bistro, Siobhan discovers the lifeless body of Niall Murphy in the restaurant's dining room. Sticking out of chest are a pair of hot-pink shears.

  Murder in an Irish Village was a cozy mystery that transported me to another world. I loved the Irish history and descriptions of the village and beautiful lands surrounding it. This novel was filled with wonderful characters that I loved. Each of the O'Sullivan Six were a delight to read about, especially ten year old Ciaran, who had no filter and said the funniest things. I loved the Irish slang (complete with a glossary), and the village of Kilbane was one that I did not want to leave. Staring at the book's cover I could imagine strolling down the streets going to the shops. Carlene O'Connor did not disappoint with her authentic depiction of Irish life. This novel had a lot going for it: there are love triangles, nefarious villains, and a village of suspects that all had motive. The action and danger had high stakes, giving this cozy mystery a bit of suspense. I loved the mystery and how it unfolded and the finale was filled with thrills.

   I read Murder in an Irish Village in part with the Booktrack audio book narrated by Caroline Lennon. Her Irish accent and delivery of the narrative made for a very enjoyable read. While the Booktrack audio experience added a beautiful Celtic soundtrack with sound effects. I highly recommend this presentation, it added a lot of depth to the novel.

  Murder in an Irish Village was a heartwarming four stars. I loved the characters, the mystery was a lot of fun, and I left wanting more of this series. If you want a cozy mystery to read that will transport you to another place, then this novel will be a perfect choice. Carlene O'Connor has made my top ten list of authors easily with this mystery. Enjoy!  
 
  Have fun reading this week. Let me know in the comments below what you are reading this week.


   Also please follow me on my social media platforms, and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and the Book Depository.
 
  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 
 




At Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=Xepherus3

 At eBayhttp://stores.ebay.com/xepherusstudios

At Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3


At Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/xepherusstudios/

At RedBubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/xepherus3

At Twitter: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

My Amazon Wish List: https://amzn.com/w/3J58FXCH0Y44F


All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2019 by Thomas Bahr II


Book cover is (c) Copyright by the publisher


Comments