The Thrifty Book Buyer: Book Fair Season Has Arrived!



 Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!


  It is that time of the year again. The time where signs are up everywhere advertising that libraries are accepting books for this year's book fair! The anticipation begins to rise, and your palms begin to sweat. Weekly you are stashing money away in a secret place to be sure that funds will be available for the upcoming Book Fair. 

Bloomfield, Connecticut Book Fair sign

  You wait.
  You dream.
  You hope.

  The Book Fair season has arrived, and soon you will be shoulder to shoulder with other book fans looking for your next, greatest read. 


  When I was younger I would read constantly. It was a fun thing to do that my mother instilled in me. I loved to use my imagination, and I fueled this by books, toys, and a few hours of television weekly. But it was the Scholastic Book Fairs as a child that I absolutely loved. I would fill out my want lists, and I would save my money I made doing chores. It was an event that my friends and I had fun attending in our school gym. 
  
Many of the hardcovers at the Bloomfield sale looked as if they had come from a book store
  
  As an adult this love of the book fair has returned to me. I attended two events in Connecticut this past week run by two libraries: Bloomfield and Southbury. Both were different in size, but each sale had the same feel to it. We had many library workers milling about valiantly trying to help book browsers find that special book. At both sales the volunteers were amazing. Each sale was well structured. Bloomfield's sale was by genre, and neatly set on tables in their lower level. Southbury's sale was actually on old library shelves in their community room in the basement part. It was also alphabetized and by genre. 




  I spent about two hours at the Southbury sale, grabbing up many titles that I was looking for. My friends came away with language tapes, audio books, Ephemeral, how-to guides, and their fiction picks.



  I am happy for the new Book Fair season this year. My first adventures have been successful, and I know have some awesome books that I cannot wait to read.

  Happy book hunting this year! Leave in the comments below what great book fair experiences that you have had. And as always, thank you for reading my words.

  Because there is always time to read,
   Xepherus3 

At Twitter at: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

At Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios

At Goodreads at: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3

All written content, photography, and Top logo (c) Copyright 2016 by Thomas Bahr II

Comments