Childhood Favorites: Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary

   


Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,


   

  Ramona the Pest was originally published thirteen years after Beezus and Ramona in 1968. It is currently published by HarperCollins. Ramona the Pest shifts the narrative to Ramona, who is entering kindergarten. With many fears, some excitement, and the knowledge that she will make new friends, Ramona sets off for school. But being five has problems, especially when you misunderstand what an adult says to you. On day one of kindergarten Ramona manages to not quite get what her teacher, Miss Binney, is saying to her, and ends up believing that she will receive a gift if she stays in her chair. But the comedy of errors and misunderstandings does not end there. From arguments over the ribbon, not attending school because a substitute has filled in for Miss Binney, boinging a little girl's curls, and getting stuck in the mud with her new, red boots, Ramona does not fail to amuse. And with artist Tracy Dockray returning to illustrate Ramona's adventures, the book comes alive.


  Ramona the Pest is a hysterical ride through the mind of a five-year-old.  Page after page, Cleary's writing fondly brought back my elementary school memories. It made me laugh out loud and smile constantly. I had forgotten how much this series had meant to me as a child. I could hear my mother reading the books to me, and asking me questions about them. I remembered writing book reports (some things never change), and the feeling of excitement I had to read the next book. It is a feeling that I loved resurfacing.

  I read this book in part with the hilarious narration of award-winning actress, Stockard Channing. Her narration took on an even bigger task of reading for dozens of characters. And once again her interpretation of Ramona Quimby was spot-on. I knew she was talented, but this reading of Ramona the Pest gave me new admiration for Stockard Channing. It was a joy listening to her read.

  Beverly Cleary may have taken thirteen years to continue Ramona Quimby's story. But she managed to step me right back into the story as if no years had passed. Her writing style was just as whimsical and heartfelt as it was in book one. I truly love her writing. I gave Ramona the Pest four out of five stars.
   

   Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

   If you wish to donate to my publishing fund at Venmo. All donations are appreciated.



      Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and Mercari.

 

  SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS AT LINKTREE

 

 Because there is always time to read,

 Xepherus3

 All written content (c) Copyright 2023 by Thomas Bahr II

Top logo designed by Xepherus Studios

The book cover is Copyright by the publisher

 

Comments