Childhood Favorites: Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary

 



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

  


  Ramona Quimby began what would be a series of children's books published from 1955 to 1999. When last I visited Klickitat Street in Ramona the Pest, our pint-sized protagonist was entering kindergarten. In Ramona the Brave, she is a first grader still yearning for the easy days as a kindergartner. She is facing many changes at home and in school, and at six years old, Ramona is struggling with being older.


  Beverly Cleary's Ramona the Brave was written in 1975 and is currently published by HarperCollins. It is once again presented with the whimsical artist work of illustrator, Tracy Dockray. In Ramona the Brave, Mr. and Mrs. Quimby announce that the girls will have their own rooms as soon as an addition to the house is finished. Of course, Ramona wishes to tell her whole class that a hole was chopped out of her house, but this does not go so well for her. 

 But true to its title Ramona is brave. She stands up for her sister against playground bullies, fends off a dog by throwing her shoe at him (which he eats), and walks bravely up the steps to the big kids' classrooms to ask her sister's teacher for a stapler. But there is nothing that this bold first-grader cannot handle. And it is all delightful to read.

  Once again I had the pleasure of listening to actress Stockard Channing read Ramona Quimby. Each time I listen to her narrations I am lost in the story, and laugh out loud at her wide range of voices. I am very happy that she is the narrator for the entire series. Amazing work.  


  I enjoyed this book immensely, and I gave Ramona the Brave four out of five stars.  If you are looking to be a kid again, or you want to read a fun story to your child, this book is a great choice.

   Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

   If you wish to donate to my publishing fund at Venmo. All donations are appreciated.



      Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay and Mercari.

 

  SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS AT LINKTREE

 

 Because there is always time to read,

 Xepherus3

 All written content (c) Copyright 2023 by Thomas Bahr II

Top logo designed by Xepherus Studios

The book cover is Copyright by the publisher

 

Comments