Book Review: The Sanatorium (Elin Warner Series #1) by Sarah Pearse

 



Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

  

   When I think of thrillers, I think of great writing, gut-punch twists, and dynamic settings. Did The Sanatorium meet those standards? Let's find out.


   The Sanatorium is written by Sarah Pearse and is the first book in the now three-book series. It is published by Penguin Books and was a Reese Witherspoon pick. 

   In it, we are introduced to Elin Warner, a detective on leave after a traumatizing case almost killed her. She is on her way to the posh hotel, Le Sommet, in the Crans-Montana area of Switzerland. There, she will be reunited with her estranged brother, Isaac, to celebrate his engagement to their longtime friend, Laure. 

  But the hotel has a past that has been kept hidden from the public. It is a past that begins a new body count, as staff begin to turn up dead. And with a snowstorm, avalanche, and cunning killer on the loose, can Elin defy the odds to solve the case or become the next victim? 

  The Sanatorium takes the classic whodunit formula and shakes it up. Often claustrophobic, this novel got under my skin. It was a page-turner that had me pausing many times to slow down my reading to make the story last longer. Pearse has a writing style I enjoyed and she gave the reader a cast of excellent characters. Detective Elin Warner was a woman living with past trauma who rose to the occasion to investigate. I loved her strength and knew quickly that she was a character who could lead a series. I enjoyed the clues left for the reader and how they led to a finale loaded with twists. 

   I read this novel in part with the narration of Elizabeth Knowelden. She was a fantastic addition to the narrative and managed to switch between accents and voices flawlessly. She was easy to listen to and I loved her sense of urgency during the exciting parts of this story. I am happy to find out she is also narrating the next book.

   The Sanatorium was a fun 4-star thriller that I highly recommend. I was left extremely satisfied with the story. And I look forward to more Elin Warner-led novels.

 Let me know in the comments below what you are reading.

   I am in the process of finishing my debut novel. That takes a lot of time and money. All donations are appreciated if you wish to donate to my publishing fund at Buy Me Coffee or Venmo.







      


      Also, I am a proud affiliate of Book of the Month. Check out their amazing selection and save by clicking above.

      Also please follow me on my social media platforms and enjoy shopping with me at eBay, Pango Books, and Mercari.

 

  SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS AT LINKTREE

 

 Because there is always time to read,

 Xepherus3

 All written content (c) Copyright 2024 by Thomas Bahr II

Top logo designed by Xepherus Studios

The book cover is Copyright by the publisher

BOTM logo is copyright by Book of the Month

Comments