Book Review: Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich






Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons,

  I have been bitten by a bug and her name is Stephanie Plum! After reading Explosive Eighteen, I was in love with the characters and the adventure that this series brings. I have plenty of Stephanie to catch up on, since I have only read two books from the series (Twelve Sharp I read a few years ago). Janet Evanovich has a fantastic way of stealing away a day from me. I find that when I read her books, that I cannot put them down. They are fun, exciting, and sometimes side-splitting hysterical. I also have the amazing narrating talents of Lorelei King to read me the books should I not be able to physically read. The combination of Evanovich and King is magic, and I am loving the spell being put on me. 

  Notorious Nineteen is the twenty sixth novel featuring Stephanie Plum. It's hard to believe that it has been twenty two years since the debut of One For the Money.  After the events of Explosive Eighteen, Stephanie is on track to finally except a committed relationship with long-time love, Joe Morelli. And the bail bonds business she works at for her cousin Vinny is back up and running in their new office (it was destroyed, blown up, and rat infested previously). It seems like everything is going smoothly. This cannot be farther from the truth. Within the first ten pages of this book Stephanie is held at gun point, has her car blown up, and is hired by Ranger (her other long-time love) to be his bodyguard at a wedding that is possibly targeted by a madman from his past. Apparently Janet Evanovich does not want either Stephanie or the reader to catch their breath.

  Cousin Vinny has a new assignment for Stephanie, bring in Geoffrey Cubbin. Cubbin is wanted for embezzlement of funds at a retirement home, Cranberry Manor. But there is one small problem, he and several patients from a local hospital have disappeared without a trace. The trails are cold on Cubbin at first, sending Stephanie on the road with her partner, Lula, to track down some other fugitives while more information becomes available. Among the unusual suspects are Melvin Barrel (arrested on possession with intent to sell. Melvin is quick, sneaky, and very hard to find. Stephanie seems to get in even more trouble just looking for him), Brody Logan (stoner dude who has in his possession a stolen Hawaiian Tiki that may or may not have magical powers of persuasion), and Arthur Beasley (arrested for indecent exposure, and currently working at a nudist beach. And yes, Lula and Stephanie need to be naked to enter the beach to apprehend him). 

  Along the way Stephanie is reunited with Randy Briggs (as seen in other Plum novels), who is now a security guard at the hospital that Geoffrey Cubbin disappeared from. Briggs may be of small stature, but he makes up for with his personality (Stephanie compares his personality to that of a rabid raccoon) and his gun. After visiting him several times he seems to be ready to shoot Stephanie. And an incident with a mail chute had me laughing hysterically. But her reunion with Randy is not the only reunion happening as Ranger prepares for the marriage of his old military buddy. A reunion that turns deadly, and has Stephanie in one of the worst predicaments she has ever faced.

 Will Stephanie find Cubbin? Who is the madman bent of killing Ranger? And what was that, Tiki? You want to go Cluck-In-A-Bucket for two of everything on the menu?

  I read this in part with Lorelei King's audio book narration. Her presentation was her best thus far in my opinion. She had to deal with a lot of characters, and managed to deliver a fantastic array of voices differentiating each distinct personality. She did so well that at times I envisioned an old-time radio show with a full cast. It was hard to believe that all of those voices came from one woman. If you ever get the chance go on YouTube and watch her reading one of Evanovich's books. It is very entertaining.

  I cannot stress how much I appreciated this book! I was on a six hour bus trip that was met with delay after delay. Janet Evanovich's narrative and Lorelei King's amazing presentation made those six hours fly by. It is by far one of Janet Evanovich's best novels. I loved it so much that I found myself telling others how much fun I was having with this book.

  I gave Notorious Nineteen four out of five stars. 

  Have you read the Plum series? If so, what is your favorite books or characters? Please comment below.

Because there is always time to read,
  Xepherus3   



At Twitter at: https://twitter.com/XepherusStudios

At Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/XepherusStudios

At Goodreads at: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11975160-xepherus3

All written content and top logo (c) Copyright 2016 by Thomas Bahr II
Book cover (c) 2102 by the author and publisher

Comments